Husqvarna Rancher 455. Thumbs up or down???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by edlope, Mar 30, 2005.

1. edlope

edlope LawnSite Member

I am a part time landscaper. For years I used a little Craftsman chainsaw and recently due to the serious rains in southern California I lost a giant pine tree and my little Craftsman can't handle it. I am trying to decide on the Husqvarna 455 rancher with a 24" blade. I don't know if it is a consumer model but it is priced just right. Delivered to my door at a total of $375.00 complete. Is this a solid machine for a part timer like myself. This is the first time in over ten years that I have had the need for more than my little Craftsman (16") Do you think the price and quality of the machine sounds right. It is about as much as I am willing to spend.

2. CaptainDing

CaptainDing LawnSite Member

The husky's are great. I have a 359 and it's a beast!...very powerful.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't put more than a 20" bar on a 455. I have a 570 Husky and it runs great. I had the old 55 rancher and it wasn't very powerful. I'm not sure if they uped the power on the 455 or not.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

A buddy of mine has a tree company and he loves his Rancher. Its a good saw for the size, I think you'd be very happy with it. When my current saw dies I'll be buying one.

5. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

I've got the 55 rancher with a 20" bar. one of my favorite pieces of equipment. Plenty of power, starts first pull. Put an aggressive chain on- and it'll cut like a knife through butter.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Husky's are powerful saws. I have a stihl, just because we like to keep our mix the same for our stihl products, but i've used a husky plenty of times and it was very good.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a Husqvarna 350 chainsaw and (to coin a cliche) I love it. Chainsaws are still one of the things that Husqvarna does right. I crank mine up sometimes just to hear it run. Nothing "hits" like a Husqvarna chainsaw.

8. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

I also have the Husky 55 Rancher and love it. I am ashamed to say this but it out cuts all 3 of my Stihls. Some people tell me its the chain but I sharpen my own chains and the chain on the Husky is a Stihl chain. I don't think you will go wrong with the Husky. Check out baileys-online.com for prices.

Mac

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 55 rancher. I run it from 5000 to 8000 feet elevation, which means I 'm down on power at least 15-18 percent from the rest of you. It has PLENTY of power for the bar that it comes with. Cuts like crazy with a reasonably sharp chain.

It is a great saw. don't be afraid to adjust jetting. don't be afraid to buy 2 or three chains and have a pro sharpen them.

it cuts ice, concrete, logs, old rail road ties, digs in dirt, and puts holes in stuff. it doesn't cut nails very well.

If it is below zero farenheit, the rope won't recoil and you can't start it. You have to warm it up to at least 20 degrees. that is the ONLY ONLY bad thing I can say about it.

Other then that, it starts on the third pull. always.

The rancher doesn't have as much vibration suppression as the rest of the huskies. that is why the bigger motor is a little cheaper.

buy chaps. northern tool has them for 50 bucks I saw. Wear eye protection. Never know when a piece of concrete might kick up into your eye!!!!!

:waving:

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang, and I thought the welding shop that used to rent saws to cut soft ALUMINUM from the rental place I worked at years ago were nuts.. :D Those pro's sharpening your chains must love you..