Husqvarna Rancher 460

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ericg, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Most IPLs give ya enough info to see where the parts go/fit, no? It shouldn't be that complicated.
    As for the oil seepage, the only thing you can try is tightening up the cyl base bolts.
    Prolly be better off pulling the cyl. and slapping a ring/s in it and a new gasket. I always use a spray sealer on two stroke gaskets! Hy-tack or Copper coat.

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for your input BigFish. I was able to download the IPL and for the most part, you are right that it provides a good idea of where things go. I was hoping that the manual would provide some idea as to what to put where first. As for the oil seepage, I will try to tighten the bolts on the head. In the event that I pull the cylinder from the crankcase, I would want an idea of ring orientation etc from the manual. In addition, I was hoping that the manual would provide pictures of any specialty tools that might be required to effect repairs.

Eric

3. BigFish

Ya don't need any special tools to do a top end.
    Most two cycle pistons have a pin in the ring groove that locates the ring gap.
    At any rate , if you pull the cyl. straight up/off the piston without rotating it, the ring gap should stay where its supposed to be. The new ring would be installed with any marking ( dot, letter, etc. ) facing up.
    Support the piston on a couple of wooden clothespins, oil the ring and piston, wipe a little in the cyl, and use yer fingers to compress the ring, and yer done!

Manuals are great to have, but if ya ain't got one ( and your too cheap to BUY one) then ................

4. ericg

Thanks BigFish. Once I get it apart, I am sure that things will fall in to place.
    As for the manual, I was willing to purchase one but could not find any place on line to get it. Do you know of a source on line to order an oem manual?

Eric

5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Type in "Husqvarna 455 Rancher shop manual" on your search engine and it comes up on fleabay, in both hard copy and on CD.
    Don't know why I can't get it on Arboristsite.

6. hallcrash

hallcrash LawnSite Member

7. BigFish

Hey, I saved it anyways! Thanks!

8. ericg

Thanks Hallcrash. A service manual like this is always good to have.