1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna VS Cub Cadet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Burns, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I cut a .4 acre of flat land and am looking for a 42" or 46" riding tractor. The Cubs have the Kohler Command 21hp 2 cylinder for only $1700, I know it is a MTD, but it looks like it is built very well for my use. Is the Husky, which is about the same price, but smaller engine any good??? The cub dealer is willing to deal and take in an older mower for a fair amount of trade.

I don't plan on useing it commercially but what do the pros think of these two brands????

Both are useing Kohler Command 20+hp engines and the few I've looked at have 2 cylinders.

Please give me an honest review if you have experience with these. I can't afford 2K+ for a "real" mower, so please don't say, "You can't get a good cut unless you buy a $5000 Exmark" etc. etc.

Are the Huskys as good or better than the Cubs?? They don't seem to have the features as the Cub, but durablilty is my concern.

Oh yeah, I will use a bagger on it 80% of the time.
  2. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Can anyone help me today??
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm afraid you won't get many responses here on homeowner equipment. Most of us don't use it, so our experience tends to be a bit limited. Add the snob factor and you see your dilemma.

I have had one homeowner riding mower, but it's a Deere, so I can't help you either. You might hit your local public library and see if a back edition of Consumer Reports has reviewed the models you're looking at.
  4. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

6 one, half dozen the other
  5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a good HOME OWNER mower try JD. I started with a JD 325. I have a few friends that still use JD tractors and do a fair job. I also know a homeowner that uses a JD with the edge deck. it leaves a pretty good cut. Good luck
  6. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My dad use to have a 2001 18hp cub it and mowed really nice. It also pulls a trailer really good. pulled 3800 lbs trailer with ppl on it in a parade once and it did a good job. it cuts way better then any JD. the small residential JD suck at mowing and are more money. I do like JD big stuff only. there little stuff is cheap and crappy.
    my dad now has one of my retired commerical z's the cub was still running great when he sold it last fall.
  7. rather be mowin

rather be mowin LawnSite Member

I am not too familiar with either ...however what you want to look for is cast iron axles for starters ... Both are kohler that is good to. I am with SLICKSILVERADO the New JD stuff is cheap ...but if you can find a used older JD then you will get your moneys worth.

2 cents
  8. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Maybe you should post your question in either the Tractor or Homeowner section on LS. Would probably get a more honest answer there. Good luck!
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Out of the two i'd go with the Cub. Cub tractors are built very good for homeowner use and they cut good and should last you a good long time. The Cub frames are about the heaviest of and riding mower and they have cast iron front axles. They also use greasable Timken tapered roller bearings for the spindles where other mowers use a cheaper non greasable bearing. i'd say your better off with the Cub.