Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KeepnItGreen, Jun 7, 2013.

1. KeepnItGreen

KeepnItGreen LawnSite Member

Any major differences or things to consider?

2. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

Trimmers, mowers ?

In general Cub Cadet is not what it was years ago. Many of their smaller mowers run Chinese-made engines. In their mower range the only products that get, at least, average reviews are the Tanks. If those are your only two choices then I would go with Husqvarna. Do you not have any other choices around you? Toro is well distributed and would provide a viable option to the above.

3. KeepnItGreen

Apologies, zero turn mowers. And yes, I do have Toro dealers near by as well.

4. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member

They are both considered low end mowers, almost as bad as what you can buy at a big box store.....what is your price range and what dealers do you have nearby?

5. KeepnItGreen

Ugh. I'm looking to spend 2800-3500. I can also get Ferris and Massey Ferguson nearby. I have a somewhat flat, 1 acre to mow. Currently using a Gravely ZT1540.

6. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

What is it that you do not like, or are looking to improve, over you Gravely?

7. KeepnItGreen

Reliability. I've gone through 2 axles with only 212 hours on it. Other than that, of course I'd like a bigger deck(I have a 40").

I 'think' I may get a Husqvarna RZ5424 w/Kohler. Dealbreaker on the cub is the bagger, everyone I speak to isn't happy with it. I'd probably get a Cyclone Rake with it.

I heard the bagger with the Huskvarna works much better, less clogging and more even spread of grass across the buckets.

8. antv20

antv20 LawnSite Member

Please clarify 2 axles. Are you referring to the transaxles? If you are it's because those are the weak ezts.

9. KeepnItGreen

I'm actually not sure. When I've had it repaired they just said they replaced the 'axle'.

At 79 hours, the left wheel wouldn't turn, and that is what they fixed. At 212 hours, the same thing happened to the right side.

10. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear of your problems with the Gravely. At that price point Hustler may have some options you would be interested in if you have a dealer in your area. Ferris will be more expensive and the homeowner grade Toro's are not going to give you anything that the Husqvarna will not in my opinion. In terms of the bagging unit, if you bag all the time you will want some kind of power assisted unit. I have never had a non-powered one that worked all that well. A Cyclone Rake might be a good alternative if you do not bag all the time. My neighbor owns one and seems to like it.