1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

husqvarna vs great dane ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WDCLAWN, Feb 24, 2008.

WDCLAWN LawnSite Member

I have a pretty flat 5 acre lot and a choice between a Husqvarna 72" M7227 or a Great Dane 61" Chariot. $6900 vs $5900. Which do you folks recommend?
  2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would go Husky only because Dane has been bought and sold at least 3-4 times in as many years. Can you get anything else Scag,lesco,Exmark,Dixie,Ferris all which have a better liking on this site for most If its your own it may be worth a little drive to get a line with a better reputation
  3. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i would go husqvarna. my husqvarna ztr has exceeded my expectations of their products.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with Great Dane. I think the Husqvarna units seem to be getting refined a bit but I would wait. 2-3 years ago, many people said they had problems and poor cutting quality with the Husqvarna units and the tunnel ram deck.

WDCLAWN LawnSite Member

Thanks, everyone. From my research these are the only two brands I could find in my price range(brand new) that have at least a 61" cut.
  6. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

i would go with the husqvarna they are a good mower i have a LZ6123 and a IZ6130XP i will buy a another when needed
  7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

M7227. Is that their new residential machine with the kohler courage series motor? If so don't bother---it will fall apart as a commercial machine. I would fear that motor especially.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

From what I have heard from a few dealers, you need courage to run a courage or to repair them.
  9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Have you looked at Bad Boy Mowers? 6-7 thousand will land you a sweet mower.
  10. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Husqvarna MZ

For the price, it's a nice mower.

The new tube frame is strong. It'll last forever. It's light too. The 72" MZ weighs in right at 800lbs.

The 72" deck on the MZ is an all new deck. It's a flat deck type. It cuts great. It has none of the same problems the TunnelRam had.