Husqvarna Walk Behinds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Jul 1, 2003.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

First of all I have done a search on this and has yet to give me the information that I am looking for.

I have tested the gravely, husqvarna, snapper, toro and scag walk behinds in both hydro and gear. looking particuarly for the 36" but will float up to 42".

So far the Husqvarna I like the best. Both hydro and gear. leaves nice lines, clean cut, easy to manuver. I would like to try the exmark but am reluctant to travel 250 miles to the nearest dealer that has one to demo.

My question is has any one had any problems with the husky? Who makes the Husky? And What are the cons of a big pumpkin leading you every where? I am not here to see what is the best maching just if any one has had any problems.

This is my first walk behind. mainly owned riders before and am trying something new. Thank you.
  2. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have 2000 Husky 4814 walk behind. 48" deck, 14.5 hp gear drive. I like the cut and stripe. I have had small problems with mine but nothing the dealer could not fix withing a few minutes.

Mine has the pistol grips and wish I had the newer style. Also would not consider again the gear drive because of free-wheeling down slopes and just about no reverse power. Would opt for the hydro and the larger motor.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

thanks indiana, I have pretty much eliminated the gear but the hydro price keeps me looking at it.

were the problems engine or were they due to flaws or problems with the actuall mower? thank you.
  4. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

A couple of the problems were related to engine to deck belts and pulleys.

One is transmission related.

None of these problems are big ones, just small adjustments and gliches...

I am pretty happy with all the characteristics of the mower, just if I could do it over I would get the hydro instead.

Really miss reverse power and don't like the speed at the bottom of a long slope.