1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by scooterguitar, Jun 6, 2006.

1. scooterguitar

scooterguitar LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Been looking for a decent lawn tractor for my home, mainly mowing on one acre. I found a new last year's model for $1325 (42", hdryost, etc.) Seems like a godo deal to me, but wondering what your feeling smight be on the Husq line of lawn tractors? I am assuming it will be betetr than a Craftsman, etc.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just FYI, the consumer Huskqvarna's are made by the same people who make craftsman. They are almost the same mower, just orange.

That said, I have a YTH150 from '98 as my home mower. Its a good mower for its $1300 price tag. However, in 350 hours (spaced over 8 years though) this is whats happened:

- Starter Solinoid failed.
    - Starter stopped engaging the flywheel (I fixed this myself by dissasembling the starter and freeing up the gear).
    - Drive Belt snapped 3x
    - Deck Belt snapped 4x
    - The hydrostat lately has developed a bit of a whine.

My only other experience with Mowers has been with a craftsman, which was about as reliable so maybe that is just how homeowner mowers are..
  3. scooterguitar

scooterguitar LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I thought they were a step up from Craftsman?
    The only other one in my range that looked appealing to me was a Troy Bilt Bronco, but the Husq seemed to be a little nicer.
    Wonder how they have improved over the years?
    Anymore I have no clue. I bought a Cub Cadet push a few years back that is the roughest running mower I have ever owned, should have taken it back but never did.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the husquvarna mowers are indeed the same as the craftsman modles, look at the two sometime, they are identical, right down to the frame. They are kinda crap, they might last a homeowner a few years and then need to be replaced. but for the money, i don't know.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The TroyBilt is built by the same company that made your little Cubby.. so, keep that in mind if you were now happy with the Cubby.