Husrler Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KUBOTADAN, Oct 24, 2005.

1. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

I am considering a Hustler with the 34 hp Cat engine. Anybody running one
    out there? If so, how it's doing. I know Ferris has the Cat engine too.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've ran both the Ferris and Hustler diesel units. I love them both. The Ferris rides great witht the suspension and the engine on the Hustler is a little bigger and it has the hydralic driven deck. In my opinion you couldn't go wrong with either one.

3. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I've heard that these machines with Cat diesels have to go to a authorized Cat dealer for engine service. Please correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've heard.

4. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Travis is right about engine repairs, while it is still under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to find out where your CAT dealer is located.

5. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

Yes, the cat engine must go to a Cat dealer for warranty work. They have
    a 3 yr warranty. Thanks for the info .

6. COLLINSVILLE

COLLINSVILLE LawnSite Member
    from CT

They must go to cat for major warranty work.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

don't forget, they weigh about 1800 lbs.

8. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ferris is already having problems getting Cat dealers to work on their mowers. This was told to me by a Ferris rep. Most Cat dealers stay pretty busy, and when they have dozens of $250,000.00 + machines waitng for repairs, how long do you think it will be before they get around to working on your little $15,000.00 mower. A machine that they did not even sell.
    I would advise everyone to steer clear of any Cat-powered mowers. Not that the engine isn't great. But just wait till you end up at the bottom of the line for warranty work, and boy, wait until that engine is out of warranty. Each repair at the dealers will cost a wheelbarrow full of cash.

10. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I know Encore was prototyping a cat and decided against them because of dealer support and the 31hp engine actually had less power than the dihatsu on there machine! At least that is what I was told.