Huster Excel 400 gear box ran dry

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mpwangler, Jul 21, 2004.

1. mpwangler

mpwangler LawnSite Member

I have an older (1986) Hustler Excel 400 with a 72" deck. Last night I was cutting and noticed a high pitch noise. I shut it down and found the gear box that connects the shaft to the desk very hot. I took it a part and found it dry. The top bearing was destroyed. The gears look good, but now I need to replace the both the top and bottom bearings. I removed the two set screws on the lower belt pulley, but the pulley will not move and I can not get it off the shaft. Any tricks to getting the shaft out of the unit.

I really need to get both bearings and most as important the oil seal replaced in the bottom of the unit.

Also which weight of gear oil should be used in the gear box?

Thanks for any help.
    Michael

2. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Michael, if you do not have the proper tools and or equipment , then I would suggest takeing it to a repairman. I know this is exspensive , but not near as much as it could cost if you do not have the knowledge or tools to remove and replace. Or you could get a repair manual and follow it.

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

As rockytopp said " proper tools". Most of the gearboxes on hustlers after being in service since 86 will have the pulley siezed to the shaft. Basically to options, unless you get lucky. 1. At least a 25ton shop press and/or 2. Oxy/Acet torch to heat up pulley.

Good luck