Huster striper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 13, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What do you think of this set up? Sold by Hustler for about $100. Would it work and how would it compare to a roller? Anyone use something similar. Some of the rough ground I cover would make me think twice about a roller but this would not create a bonce when hitting a bump. I can see the rubber could get under the wheels in a ditch. Your thoughts?

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about making one for my walk behind. Mudflap-$6.75, hardware-$3.00.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Buddy has one on his SuperZ. It doesn't get hung on curbs, ditches, etc. Not long enough to get under wheels when going backwards.

Works ok, but nothing nearly as good as a roller. I rigged up something for my Mini-Z with a heavy duty mudflap. Even double layered it, but still not quite as stiff as it needs to be.
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

That dosent look like it will get caught in the wheels...But One thing I don,t like about rubber or chain stripers..Is that they drag all the gravel on the lawn when you run on the driveways...For shur It will stripe..But If You want a top notch defined stripe I think the roller is the way to go.
  5. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I use the same stipe kit on my Hustler fastrak and it stripes well. I have it set at about 1" above the ground. I have not had problems with dragging gravel. However, it is harder to jump curbs and ditches.
  6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Any thick/stiff/heavy flap that is within an inch of the ground will work very well. Take care to use three or more patterns.
  7. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same striper for my 52" Hustler and have yet to try it out. I thought I would really like it, but found that my mower left a nice stripe already and was not as interested by the time I got it. I ordered it and it was hard to get since they quit making it for my model, so I paid the $115.00 for it. I'm sure I'll try it out before the year ends.

MODIXIE LawnSite Member
    from MO

If u want to buy a good flap. Go to your local farm store and get a horse trailer pad. One of them weights about 150lbs. They are dang near one inch thick and will give u more weight on a flap then u need. They work great. They are about 50$ and u only use about 1/4 of the matt that they give u. But still cheaper then the factory stuff U have to buy.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We get belting from a quarry and cut a 4" wide piece and bolt to back of deck with 2" hanging down and it stripes real good and you get the belting for nothing.