Hustle Mini z or Deere 727A. Which one?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dfischer58, Jul 17, 2005.

1. dfischer58

dfischer58 LawnSite Member

First off, I don't think I want the paint issues of the exmark, and just don't see the Toro as being all that. Can't tell you why.

I'm strongly considering Deere and Hustler and would appreciate some comments as a whole and some specific answers. My questions:

Fit and Finish on a Deere isn't a question. Hows the Hustler doing? There seems to be a trend to poor paint among many Z brands.

At least some have commented the Hustler rides a bit hard. Hows the Deere compare?

Has anybody spent serious seat time on both? Hows the cut?

If anyone has considered this in depth, I'd appreciate some comments.

My thanks,

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

You have made some interesting observations, couple things I have missed. I am not aware of the Exmark paint issues or complaints of a 'hard ride' on a Hustler. These are probably the top 2 brands of ztrs available in my experience and the experiences of others who use these machines to make a living.

I am a big fan of the 7 Iron deck by JD. The 727a is a Great Dane with the 7 Iron. I've looked at it, but haven't used it. It looks to have a very high center of gravity and to be a rather dated design, except for the deck. The 737/757 is a fine mower in my experience.

Excel Hustler began using a powder coat (?) paint process several years ago and I am not aware of any finish issues - you may want to visit their web site for the info.

I own a Hustler SuperZ, selected after extensive use and examination of most major brands, including Exmark Lazer and LazerHP; JD 757; Toro 500 series; Dixie Chopper Supreme; Ferris and Husqvarna. The SuperZ is, IMO, for my purposes, the best available. It is a state of the art design, smooth and refined, produces a great cut mulching St. Augustine, Bermudagrass, some Zoysia, Centipede, and a small amount of Bahai.

No other ztr I've used holds hills as well or drives, tracks, and handles as well as the SuperZ. The Exmark, Hustler, and JD 757 all cut beautifully, IMO and experience.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I owned a 717 which is the same as the 727 with a 6 inch bigger deck and 23 enegine. It was one of the best mowers I ever owned and my 737 has been fine. I have not used a Hustler so I cant make a comment on them. Im sticking with deere until they give me a reason not to.
  4. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Thanks for the great dane info. I'd thought I'd read it once, but hadn't seen reference to it again. Look at the paint quality thread on the huster forum for more info on paint, if our interested. I've seen other references to paint issues as well. I think it's a failure to prep the metal. I did note Hustler has moved to powder coating.

Thanks again,