Hustler 1 hour demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, May 21, 2007.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I just got off the phone with a local Hustler dealer. We were looking to set up a demo/purchase for a 25/60 Z, but these folks only offer a 1 hour, 1 property demo.

I understand that some dealers don't like to give you a machine for a real demo (a day or more) so I asked him if the Hustler rep for our area could set us up and he said it would be the same deal. An hour or so while the rep watched.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but haven't many of the current or previous hustler owners here been given more accomodating demos?

2. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That's BS!!!

I demoed a Super Z first, and kept it for 2 days and then did a Mini-Z and kept it 2 or 3. I was told to keep it as long as I wanted and do my entire route if I wanted.

Just my 2 cents, but any dealer that won't at least give you a mower for AT LEAST a FULL day...I'd move on. You need to demo on more than just one yard, unless ALL your lawns are identical.

For me it wouldn't work. My lawns consist of treated/irrigated Bermuda sod, treated/irrigated Fescue sod, fescue seeded, bermuda seeded, treated/irrigated Zoysia, and of course a couple of non-treated/non-irrigated CRAP (but I'm weeding them out).

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed my mower for a week before I bought it. Most will let you demo for a day.. but 1 hour?

4. Initial REO Service

Initial REO Service LawnSite Member

Some test drive, sounds as if that dealer is NOT working all that hard for your business.
    Makes you wonder what for support you'll get After the sale.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I thought.
    We've had machines from several different dealers over the past few years for up to a week. I really think the local hustler rep has set up demos for others in Southeast Pa. This dealer may not really want to sell this unit. The promo price is pretty good and I wonder if the dealer sees much profit.

I guess I'll check with PJ and make sure these guys are being honest with me.

Thanks guys.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey at least an hour is better than nothing. I have yet to find a dealer that will let you engage the blades. They will only let you drive the machine around. I was furious last year when we went looking for a demo.

7. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

My local hustler dealer said the same thing to me when i got there to pick it up i lived 45 min away from him i was mad he never told me that over the phone so i told thanks for wasting my time and left.

8. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

My local Hustler dealer ordered in a 60 inch just for me to demo and has let me take it out on three separate days to make sure I like it. I will always support this dealer.

9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

The shop down here will let you demo one for 24 hours. If you want to do another 24 hours the next day, fine.

I purchased my Exmark from them. Besides, what if your mower breaks down, will they give you a loaner for just one hour as well?

NEXT !!

Too cheap of a company/salesman to offer a screwy deal like that. Just think of what the service after the sale must be like.

I would move on (actually run) from that deal.

10. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Had the same issue with our local Hustler dealer. Told me I can test drive the machine around on his driveway, can't cut grass, can't take it to one of our properties, can't test mulch kit.

I guess not enough folks are walking away...