Hustler 295

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by paulver, May 10, 2007.

1. paulver

paulver LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler 295 with a TC56 two cylinder, gasoline engine. My problem is that it bogs down when I begin to mow. Engine and carb have been rebuilt. As a result, the throttle and governor are not adjusted correctly, and no one (Hustler dealers) seems to be able to (or really wants to)make the adjustments. I'm told that there isn't anyone in their repair shops that knows how to work on anything that old!!! I've figured out most of the problems and did most of the rebuilds myself. But, I don't have any info on how to do this part properly. It runs like a champ. However, when I begin to mow, it bogs down the engine. I've narrowed it down to the governor and throttle. Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Paul

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are a very small amount of dealers that have ever even seen that model, this is why you are having problems getting someone to work on it.
    We only made them from 1979 to 1984.
    One of the common problems with that unit is the distributor freezing up in the head, you need to make sure it is free to adjust the timing and check your points also.
    You may also want to check with some industrial engine dealers in your area, they would have more experience with that engine.

Pj