hustler 3400z 28hp. quad deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rabeaux, Oct 23, 2003.

1. rabeaux

rabeaux LawnSite Member

HI GUYS, I HAVE THE OPPORTUNTITY TO BUY A 2001 3400Z 72INCH, QUADCYCLER DECK 28HP. DIESEL 167 HOME OWNER HOURS
    FOR 7500.00 DOLLARS FROM KUBOTA DEALER. WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS MACHINE, QUALITY,LEVEL CUT.
    MAINTANCE, RESALE?ONE GUY TOLD ME YEARS AGO HE HAD A 60 INCH DECK LIKE THIS AND NEVER COULD LEVEL DECK. ANY INFO. WOULD BE HELPFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RANDY

2. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

We run the 3200Z with 72" decks. I think they give a good cut are a great machine overall. Very well built, almost bullet proof, I would not recommend it if you are just doing smaller residental lawns, but if you have larger residential or commerical sites then it will be good machine and should get many more years out of it. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

3. kagney333

kagney333 LawnSite Member

Hi randy,

Just wanted to give you my comments too about a 3400 Hustler.
    I rebuilt mine from the ground up. Not meaning to but cracked the head on mine and thats what got me started into this area.

If you are useing this mower for home use you will probably never wear it out. Like most mowers there are a few flaws in its design, just my opinion. The first one is the clutch wires location and putting a new hydraulic belt on is a small challenge. Always keep these wires wired tied to the support bracket and never break them off. The radiator is a monster and VERY expensive and a cross reference is very difficult to come up with. Like most diesel engines, never ever run it without an air filter for dirt in a diesel is one of the worst things you could do to it.

The motor is a 28 hp kubota and is extremely durrable and will actually be more power than the discharge of the deck will release so you wont have to worry about that. The only disadvantage to this mower (but others may experience the same problem with other makes of mowers) is it will slip going up inclines if the ground is wet. Fuel savings on a diesel versus gasoline is too good to be true and thats one main reason why I wouldnt trade a diesel over two gasoline ones.

take care and its a good mower. Actually I think that mower sold for about 11 to 12 thousand dollars so the purchase price seems good.

kag

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Kag,
    This is a 3400 he is talking about, not a 340, like what you have.
    Two totally different machines.
    The 3400 is the replacement for the 340.
    Different drive system, clutch system, frame, engine mounting, drive controls...etc...etc...etc...
    They do use the same decks.
    Here are a couple of pics....
    [​IMG]
    And...
    [​IMG]