1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler 36" Mini FastTrak ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking into getting a small Z instead of a walkbehind as my first big mower. So far I have found the smallest to be Gravely with the 34Z, Dixon 36Z(Ugly, hate it), and the Hustler. The Hustler looks like the best machine of them all. There warranty seems to be unbeatable and the mower looks to be built like a tank. Any one have experience with this machine? I do not mow on a lot of hills nor do I plan to any time soon. Rotating blades and hills make me nervous. If I need a roll cage and a seat belt on my mower for hills you can forget that:eek: :p Please give me any advice. I currently have almost $1500 to put towards a new mower so I could get a walkbehind soon or get a Z finanaced in my parents name. If I get a walkbehind I am seriously considering the Quick 36 made by better outdoors. The only thing that concerns me with the Quick 36 mower is no dealer support.

Thanks... :)
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand your reasoning, wanting a ZTR ( more productive, especially when solo) instead of a WB.. I'd get the Gravely.. The Hustler you mentioned is a Homeowner unit, I doubt the integrated drives will last you very long, I say this and I really like Hustler's machines as well. Truthfully though, I won't recommend that you go into hock to buy your equipment.. I did myself, and now I have a note that I've got to pay on for 3 years.. Do yourself a BIG favor and buy what you can..CASH
  3. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I'm also considering the Quick 36, but I also agree that not having dealer support is a big turn off.

Since I'm solo, and have been operating this long without one, I'm just keeping a close eye on the trading post for used equipment. I think I'll find the best bang-for-the-buck by buying used.....what do you all think?
  4. Husky03

Txlawnking, what exactly are the integrated drives? Keep in mind, I am am the only one who will be using it and I take good care of my things. Also, I forgot to mention the price. My dealer which sells Deere, Sacg, Hustler and Exmark quoted me a price of $3700. This sounded good to me.
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

what lawn king means by integrated system is the hydro pump and the hydro motor are one unit. not the pump and motor system used on other units. i dont know what the gravely uses i think the dixon is not even a hydro.
    i sell the hustler and the fastrack has been a good seller they had some problems with the transaxel early on but quickly took care of it.i have a few one man shows and they use them with no problems cuting 5 to 10 yards weekly this mower should do the trick
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We just picked up a 34Z. So far the cut is exceptional. For $3,700 you cant go wrong with the 34Z. It has a bit of a rough ride and isnt super on steep hills but other than that we like it alot.
  7. Husky03

I apppreciate the help. The Gravley 34Z is $4000 at my local dealer. I am going to see if I can go and demo the Hustler. I have never done a demo before. Any advice?

8. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Husky, The Gravely price that I got here in Richmond is around $4200 ... so, if you can grab it for $3700 ... I would take it.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Husky, I wouldn't let $300 be the deciding factor when choosing a ZTR.

I'd go with the commercial model. Plus with it being a 34", it may fit through some gates that the 36" won't (if gates are a problem for you, they sure are for me).