1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler 48" TrimStar Hydro or Geardrive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Snowman269, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Snowman269

Snowman269 LawnSite Member

I posted this in the Hustler forum, not realizing this forum would be a better place to post among LCO for advice.

My Hustler Dealer is fantastic, so regardless of other brands, my Dealer loyalty says I'm ordering a 48" Trimstar. I just can't decide between the Hydro or Gear Drive. What's the pro's & cons. I'm used to a Toro 52" with sulky & it was fine.

I am unable to test one, so your input is crucial to my decision.

My wife will likely be piloting this unit & demands a stand up machine. Her back cannot handle sitting all day on a zero turn no matter what I do. 72" Super Z, Suspension seat & Flex forks are a big improvement, but not enough.

I'm sure the Gear Drive is well made, but is it penny wise & mower foolish. Is the Hydro worth the extra 2g's.

I'm thinking I should just buy the Hydro 48".

The dealer is suggesting a fastrack or mini z for small yards. I'm thinking I'd add one of them later too, for small yards or to cut down on trimming.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hydro:) :) :)
  3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Id go Hydro if you got the fund's better resale so much easier in reverse and better on wet grass. Your hand will also love the hydro.
  4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro all the way!!
  5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Go with the hydro you will love it I no we do. And for the gear drive the handle bars are way to short for anyone around 6ft and up.
  6. John Gamba

from ct

Go hydro:hammerhead: we know where you live:weightlifter: :)
  7. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Hydro, they are discontinuing the gear drive any way. Much better resale if you get tight on the $$$ and need to ditch it in a quick hurry.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

The only gear drive i would get now would be the toro T bar or the gravely Pro-steer(if you can get it). Hustler hydro all the way.
  9. John Gamba

from ct

10. Snowman269

Snowman269 LawnSite Member

Wow, you guys make that easy.

Ok, Hydro it is.

Why is the hydro such a Big difference, & how long do these mowers last running every day. 6,000 hours?