1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler and exmark 34 36" same system??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Feb 28, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have done some research on the hydrogear trans and found that all mini ztrs have the same system. But is there different grades of performance of different brands? The hustler says, zt2800 same as full hydro systems. And the phazer says Dual Hydro-Gear ZT2800 hydrostatic transaxles w/charge pumps and independent replacable filters. If they are the same why did my used to be dealer for mowers said the phazer has home owner pumps being he isn't an authorized exmark dealer and said to get the hustler because it is fully commercial grade and had a commercial system compared to the phazer. Also is the toro version exactely the same? I'm just wondering are the zt2800s the same on small commercial ztrs and different on cheap res. ztrs or are there all kinds of different combos of this integrated system. And will they last just like the traditional pump and wheel motor system.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

All the ZT2800s are the same. Companies use them on Zs and walks. I haven't heard of one failing yet. The homeowner Hydrogear transaxles are the EZT and IZTs, and I have heard of premature deaths of these.

Some companies will have Hydrogear tweak the design to smooth out the control, but the same basic design is there. I know Bad Boy had some of the internal orifices tweaked to smooth out the new 2008 ZT series mowers.

3. S man

So my phazer has true commercial grade zt2800s?

4. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

All ZT2800's are not created equal. Some use a "powdered metal" gear and some a "cut steel" gear.

5. tb8100

from TX

Please elaborate. Who uses these powdered metal geared transaxles?

6. tb8100

from TX

Oh, some of the ZT2800s are charged and some aren't. I have yet to see an application where they're not, but they may very well be out there.

7. S man

I checked hustler's website and even their "commercial" grade 48" fast track super duty has them zt2800s. I really don't like the "whiny" sound they make.

8. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Before we ditched Hustler, the rep told me they would be using the ZT2800's in more of their units and it would eventually replace traditional pump and wheel motor combinations in all units under 54" except the super minis which are supposed to keep the 16cc pumps. What really pissed me off at the time was the Trimstar walk behinds using IZT's which aren't even commecial duty after ditching the hydro walkbehind which used some variant of a BDP10 pump. As TB has already mentioned, the EZT's and IZT's are consumer grade with the EZT's reserved for the most low end entry level Z mowers.

9. tb8100

from TX

yeah, I dont get why Hustler uses IZTs. Of course, they've abandoned their dealers in areas like Texas where only gear drive walks sell. I can sell a Scag 36" SW with a fixed deck for $2999. The Trimstars start in the mid to upper $4s, correct?

10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Lemme think for a sec...in sept. I sold my last(2nd last if you include the one we returned when dropping the line) old style 37" hydro walk behind hustlers for 4300, it was the old pump and wheel motor set up, but that had been on the floor for 2 years. If I remember correctly, a 48" Trimstar with the IZT set up ran for around 4900-5000 promo last year. I couldn't tell you about the belt drive units cause we never sold a hustler gear drive, and I think they may have done away with them this year.