Hustler at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JMK26, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I don't know. Like I said, they were shipping "The Beast" right to the HO's house and dropping it off.

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

It's possible.

But, I've purchased, online, quite a lot that was "in-store delivery only", from a variety of brick and mortar retailers. It could go either way. But, I really don't see Excel taking the risk.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If they are smart, they'll do it like Deere does, and find a dealer to take delivery of them machines from the factory, set them up correctly, then deliver them to the various stores that will be selling them in the area.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Before you signed on as a dealer didn't you ask what the size of your area is and who was going to be your competing dealers?

5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

That's pretty null and void if:

1- The salesman didn't inform them.

2- It wasn't an issue when they signed on because it wasn't a final decision yet..

6. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I never imagined HD for certain . However I remember a few years back when I first seen a hustler , in Sam's it was there 2 seasons sitting as everyone exited the store. I assumed they were still selling them there.
    ( Sam's is 40iles away, haven't been, didn't know they ever stopped selling)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. turtle

turtle LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear your Hustler rep stuck it to you. Maybe you will get lucky and will end up being the guy who gets to uncrate them and set them up for the BB stores.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

And how does this help him at all with the $50,000 of stock and upcoming interest on said stock he has coming in?

9. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

When is supposed to happen?

10. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

He got hosed, and that's not right. I'm all for doing business the honest way. I have no problem with the big boxes selling the product, short of an exclusivity contract. But to not tell other dealers when taking their orders is a breach of trust.

I was talking with a salesman at the local dealer when HD started selling JD. The dealer sold about 90% JD and 10% exmark The dealer was furious with Deere because he'd been the exclusive seller for decades. But in the back of my mind I was thinking that the dealer was selling competing products, so he really doesn't have a big beef with Deere for selling in competing stores. Now the dealership emphasizes exmark.