1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler at Sam's Club!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so I walked into our local Sam's Club today and I couldn't believe it a Hustler Mini Z. Now normally I wouldn't surprise me to see a cheap homeowner model Z like a timecutter toro but it was a commercial series Hustler. But what was worse is they had all the brochures for there other z's and one of the sales guys told me they could actually get me one if I wanted. Of course when I asked who's going to do the warranty work he couldn't give me an answer. The one on the floor I belive was a 19hp Honda and I think a 44 inch deck for $4,700. But whats next Scag at walmart?
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I do not run Hustler but this can't be a good thing for guys that do. If they keep this up it will pee-off the dealers and they will quite carring them. I know this has happened to some other mfgs. What a sad day when they cut the throats of the dealers that helped make them.
  3. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sam's is leasing that space to the local Hustler dealer, per a prearranged deal between Hustler and Sam's. My Hustler Rep has asked us to do the same. Sam's is trying to make money off of every square inch of their properties, who can blame them!
  4. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I just bought a Hustler and I think this is a TERRIBLE move for Hustler and disrespectful to all that run their mowers. It cheapens their equipment not to mention the damage it will do to the perceived professionalism of companies (like mine) that have invested in their equipment. I understand wanting to make money but, where is the standard to maintain the perception of professional equipment and differentiate yourself from junk!!. If thats the case, why would the Hustler dealer jut buy a bunch of Craftsmen mowers and aint them yellow?!!!!
  5. There are Hustlers at the Sam's here, but they are the Hustler dealer that has worked a deal with Sam's for advertising, same as a local boat dealer.
  6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I just talked to my dealer and he was excited about it. Hes over an hour away from the Sams club(and me!). He said you could get a discount with a sams card believe it or not.I think both sams and hustler are just searching for new revenue any way they can. I dont have a problem with it till they cheapen the product- been real happy with mine.
  7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Have not seen that one yet. But was in a Gander Mountain about a month ago and they had a large display for SCAG in the lobby.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My local Sams Club has everything from Harleys, to Honda 4 wheelers, to Honda cars and tru..err crucks...trars? Anyway, it's space leased by local dealerships with a discount built in through Sams Club.

It blew my mind the first time I walked in and saw a 3 Harleys sitting there!;) ;) ;) Then I saw the sign for the local dealership.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

This has been covered before...but sam's IS NOT selling Hustler mowers. Like has been said...Sam's is leasing the space for the advertisement. My dealer has one sitting in the foyer of Sam's with his sign/number, etc. I even tested the waters one day and asked the assistant manager about it. He said if I was interested I'd have to call the number of the mower.

I suppose if it is bad for Hustler, it is bad for Toyota, Harley, GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. Because I have seen EVERY one of those sitting just outside the door at the same Sams' in the last year.