Hustler Bac-Vac Catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DMA, Sep 3, 2003.

1. DMA

DMA LawnSite Member

Buying the Hustler 60 inch 24 hp Kawasaki mower, wanting the Bac-vac catcher to go with it. My question is; is a 9 bushel catcher big enough? I have lots of oak leaves to pick up. 9 bushel seems small to me but I have not used one. Thanks for any help.

2. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

SCAG's new clamshell collection system is 12 bushels and it seems small. i couldnt imagine going w/ a 9 bushel, you would be dumping every 10ft it seems.

but, clamshell type collection systems are a WHOLE lot faster than baggers. just being able to stay on the mower and dump debris is enough to make up for the lost capacity.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I had a pac-vac on a 2500. Try and get something bigger for the leaf season and keep it for grass. It lifts off with only one person and YES its on small wheels, Very easy to go from complete bagging to no bagger on mower at all.
    John

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If I may, you need to tell us
    1.are you dumping on the street
    2.collecting and throwing in a truck
    3.do you have room to dump in the back of the yard

BECAUSE, there are options to each of these items.
    Pete

5. DMA

DMA LawnSite Member

The property is about 6 acres with at least 50-60 large oak trees, and I will be just dumping on the ground but it will be some distance from some of the trees to the dump area.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is a link to a older thread that will give you an idea on your dump intervals and the large amount of leaves you can expect to pack into the Bac-Vac.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=315155#post315155

The blower on the Bac-Vac will pulverize leaves, it has enough force to make a cube of leaves, when you go to dump the catcher.

Later
    Pj