Hustler bagging system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by musselman, Dec 24, 2004.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I am going to be buying a new Hustler Super Z in the next couple of weeks (Merry Christmas to me) I will also be getting a bagging system for it...I know why bag? It because the people I work for demand it in the contract...anyways to my question. What type of bagging system is best the bac-vac or the three bag system. has anyone used both?
    How good does the Hustler bag? I hope to mulch most of the time, but I have to bag also. While im asking any suggestions on engines would be helpful...Im leaning toward the 28 hp kohler.

2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

We have the three bagger on our super z. It works great and leaves a nice clean cut.

3. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Go with the Honda engine...I am not too sure if Hustler puts a Honda engine that large on any machines...but I have a 20 hp Honda on my Hustler and love it. I have never had any problems out of any Honda engine...ever. But I can understand wanting a larger engine....if they put a Honda on it nearly that big..I would go with the honda for sure.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I demoed a Super Z 60" with a Kohler 27 or 28 HP,nice engin. It was night and day differance compaired to my Kawi 25 HP. I prefer the standard Bac-Vac unit because most of my collecting has on site dumping. Back up to the pile or in the woods and dump from the seat verses getting off the machine to empty the bags. The Bac-Vac unit works very good on grass and leaves but not so well on sticks. My Walker will do it all but is slower because its a smaller unit.

Gene

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Which bagger to get really depends on what type of properties you will be mowing. If you can dump right on the property then you would be better off with the bac vac. On the other hand of you have to haul off the grass then you'd probibly be better off with the three bag unit so you can bag the grass and haul it off.

As for the engines, personally I wouldn't buy anything but a Kohler. Kohlers are great engines IMO. We have several of them where I work and they get used hard and they never let us down. The 27 hp has plenty of power for a 60" deck but if you want fuel efficiency then by all means get the 28 hp efi engine. It is supposed to have more power than a carbureted engine, start easier in cooler weather, have better throttle response, and most importantly burn a lot less fuel so if you mow enough accounts the engine would probibly pay for itself the first year. The Hustlers are also available with Honda and Kawasaki engines but I wouldn't recommend one. I have heard both engines have had several problems. The Honda's have had some electrical problems and the Kawasaki's have had carb problems, problems with crankshaft seals going out and eventually blowing the engine and also surging and Kawasaki can't even figure out whats wrong with some of their engines. Thats why I like to stick with american made engines. The parts for a Kohler are about half the price of Kawasaki and Honda parts. Hope this helps.

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 27 Kol with a bac vac system. Love it.

7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Thanks guys...do both bagging systems remove quickly? I will more than likely go with the 28 efi Kohler. Have the 26 efi on my walker and love it. Wish I could afford the diesel.

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We use the Bac-Vac system on our machines. It removes in less than a minute by just removing a couple of pins. The Bac Vac also has wheels on it for easy moment and storage.

9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I have a 60'' deck-25 KA with a Bac-Vac....awesome,does a great job ,flat ground or on hills :waving:

10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 24 hp Honda with a 3 bag bagging system. The Honda is a good motor, no problems after 450 hours. The bagging system is very good. I use it mostly for leaves.