Hustler blade question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Mar 29, 2005.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

Does anyone know if there is an alternitive blade replacement for a Hustler 48 in walkbehind besides the blades that Hustler sells? Because of their "dealer support" they won't let anyone else sell blades for their mowers, but I'm wondering if blades for another machine might work just as well.

I'm tired of driving 45min to wait 10-15 min at the parts counter to wait another 10-15 min at the check out counter to pay twice what I should for a set of blades :realmad:

Thanks in advance.

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ordered a set of Gator blades for my Hustler Z from a local shop. [3 mins away] I don't like the long [hour and half] round trip, on 3 expressways,...to the only Hustler dealer in Memphis to buy Hustler Gator Blades.
    The Hustler Gator blades you can buy from a Hustler dealer are 3" wide and the only place you can get them, you guessed it, your Hustler dealer. And expensive. That what I run now. The ones I ordered are Gator blades that fit a Hustler Z and are 2 1/2" inches wide. Same thickness and length. I'm going to give them a try. They will be in on Thursday.
    Cost a lot less to boot. Really wish those Hustler guys could get it together on this end of town....I have a alternate "dealer"...lol...go figure...located in a Body Shop in Marion Arkansas...what's that about? locally the competition is selling ExMarks, Walkers, Husqvarnas and the others, like hot cakes....

3. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Try gators!

4. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I'm assuming the new gator's you ordered aren't specifically made for a hustler? If so how did you go about finding which ones would work?

5. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

The gators made for Hustler's are only sold at dealerships. You can't order them anywhere else.

6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

There are several companys that make blades to fit alot of mowers. Gators is one. Oregon Parts company has several different type of blades for mowers. Stens is another. Check out these places.

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

MEG MO makes blades for your mower.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have no agreement with our blade mfg's on making blades exclusively for us.
    I have seen more of our blades becoming available in aftermarket catalogs and websites recently (last 2 years).
    Our blade pricing is within reason with other OEM's out there if not less.

Pj

9. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I stand corrected and forgive me for implying something that wasn't true. I just haven't been able to find them as of yet online. Thanks to this thread though I've got a couple of good leads.

I realize that your prices are inline with most oem's, but it was the aftermarket prices that I was speaking of.

While being a little aggitated about having to go to the dealer so much last year, I've got nothing but good things to say about the mower itself. I don't understand why other companies don't come up with something simular to the H bar. I'd have arthritis if I used the pistol grips much more. Occationaly I use a friend's exmark (w/ecs) and I can't wait to get back to my Hustler. Having to stop and use neutral lock anytime I need to take a hand off of the controls really sucks! And having my hands hurting after a few hours isn't any good either.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

PJ, Are you saying the same Gator Blades that I buy from my Hustler dealer for a Hustler mower and shipped from Hustler are available on line?
    Last year this time I was stockpiling wear items for my mowers due to you know what.... I called Oregon and was told I could not buy the blade I was using, that they were made exclusively for Hustler to be sold through Hustler dealers.
    They make one for a Hustler, just not as wide. Now I am confused....what is the skinny on this?

I am buying some Gator Blades through someone else other than my Hustler Dealer to try.

BTW, last Summer, I had to pay over $20 dollars [US] each to get my Hustler Gator Blades out of Nashville shipped!!!!

PT Barnum said it best....if you get my drift...I aint playin that game this time.