Hustler cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 21, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Super Z XR7 cut problems were more evident today, lots of rain in the last week (6") This grass is 10 days old and is fescue that likes to lay down and needs alot of lift to get an even cut. Due to the high rainfall the grass has really grown more than normal but I know My Exmark Ultracut would have left this smooth. Here are some pictures. I'm almost positive its a lift issue. This stuff often grows out at a 45 degree angle and will not cut unless you have vaccum to stand it up first. I think I was at 3.25 inches and the cut wasn't what I call smooth even though some days it does better. Especially when it's dry. Hope Hustler figures this one out.

Hustler cut I.jpg

Hustler-cut-II.jpg

Huster-cut--close-up.jpg

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

F-in stringers. I hate those. The tips of them have a Y shape to them. I have to mow over them twice. They just lay over.
    By the sounds of it, you arent too happy with the XR7?

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Here what the Exmark will do in the same conditions

Mowing-damp-grass.jpg

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow Id park the Hustler. Nice cut there

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Looking at your mower in the first picture you posted it looks like deck is pitched forward to much. That would cause a lower quality cut.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. that is quite an observation (good eye), but a valid point. I would certainly find a piece of completely smooth flat concrete and you know what to do....

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This looks like a shorter cut with the Exmark, it sure is smooth.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Are the cuts at the same height? I've had the same problem trying to brushog long floppy type grasses, the shorter you cut the cleaner it looks.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like where the exmark cut was thicker and cut lower, any mower will cut better there. Where the hustler pics were taken it looks tall, not to mention I don't see a blade of turfgrass there! Looks like a half thin stand of crabgrass, goosegrass, and foxtail there. If you exmark could cut that exact patch at that same height and do a better job, look at your blades. Does the exmark have more lift on the blades? One sharper then the other?

Cutting a pasture full of weeds I wouldn't expect much of any mower, especailly after 10 days... I have places where the goosegrass can get a foot high in a week and it's a bear to hack down (bagged too). Cut 'er shorter, 2.75 or 3" and it will cut that cleaner.

** not trying to give you a hard time here, just looked again to verify and yes, theres very little fescue in all that crabgrass there...

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like its crab grass....get rid of it