1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Deck Belt Idler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Hustler guys.

I just noticed the deck idler on the XR-7 deck and thought it was an interesting idea. Any thoughts or opinions? Is it new? Does Hustler use it on any other products?

2. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I know Hustler has been using this system since at least 04'. I like it!
  3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. The belt for the vac on the bagger is the same
  4. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

I wasn't sure about it at first (on an 04 52mini) but its fine. It must be good quality plastic. I just wish they would cover the underside of the deck with it.
    (to stop grass,dirt sticking). I have used a similar plastic under a rotary hoe for years now and still going strong.
  5. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

the owners manual says to grease that, lol
    Im guessing its wrong
  6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations, you have just exploited the most relevant flaw of the Hustler mower. It's Achilles heel.

The plastic is a slide....what's so special?

That idler pulley has been the most replaced item on my machine. Period.
    I keep spares for when they blow.

It is an off the shelf part, generic.

They dress it up in a plastic slide, this time not on a pivot, just a slide..how do you or why would you want to grease this?

I'll gladly post a picture of how it probably look after 300 hrs.

After you have given up cursing that idler pulley.

I have lost count of how many times I have replace that idler pulley. They have used the same setup [plastic/idler] since I bought mine, circa 2001.

Do not be fooled...you don't have to buy this from Hustler, this is a generic item that can be purchased locally. I'd be broke if I had to buy this part from Hustler.

I still run that Hustler as a back up mower.

I have always carried spare idler pulleys, The bearings wear out

This one item you will replace again and again.

I am sure you are in love with your new machine....report back in a few years with a valid assessment of that part....

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I like the pivot arm setup on my Gravely personally, plastic is just one more thing to break/wear out. Looks to me like the forgot about the deck idler when designing that deck and had to get creative with chain and a spring and some plastic to make it work. I dont like that design at all.
  8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a few Super Z's and have never had to replace that idler pulley. The chain is a nice xtra to adjust the belt tension.:waving:
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I meant to say after 3000 hrs. And after 15-20 deck idler pulleys.
    You will soon experience idler pulley failure.
  10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Mine's a '04. Coming up on 850 hours. Haven't replaced a pully yet. Knock on wood.