Hustler deck pin problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by amar, Jan 31, 2006.

1. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Is anyone having problems with breaking the deck hight adjustment pin? Ive broken about 6 over the past few years. They lasted from 30-300 hours. My dealer said Hustler would no longer warrenty them after so many problems with just me. This was about mid 2004 eversince we use bolts with two nuts on them. Hustler said they dident have any problems with the pin? It bents and eventualy breaks off from the deck bouncing alittle. I have seen one other co using a screw driver for a deck pin.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This has been discussed many times here on LS.
    It seems the problem with the pins is in relation to whether you have them in the hole while transporting the mower from job to job.
    Remove the pin and let the deck down all the way while trailering and you shouldn't have any problems.

Pj

3. amar

amar LawnSite Member

I did a search and could not find any info. My problem is not in transport. The deck dosent drop in transport. When mowing a bumpey lawn (ie 90%) of lawns the deck tends to bounce at times bending the pin than you turn it around and it bends the other way after time it breaks on a lawn and a customer gets a several foot long buzz when the deck falls.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Extra rough lawns would cause this also, you are correct.
    A few things you could do... slow down a bit for the rougher conditions.
    Add a set of Flex Forks, this will stop the deck bouncing.....

Pj

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The deck is too heavy for the size pin that Hustler uses. Simple salutation......Make your own pin. Use a 3/8" dia rod and drill out the holes in the adjuster rod to fit.

6. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

go to a tractor suppy store and get a heavy duty pin. That will work for sure.

Mike

7. amar

amar LawnSite Member

This is the same response I received in 2004. The only difference than was they didn't to try to sell me additional parts for the mower. Flex forks must be newer.

It would cost a few cents more to have a harder pin or better yet a larger pin which would still fit in the hole. As stated earlier we now use bolts in place of the deck pin.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I didnt mean for it to sound like a sales pitch.
    I am just saying that the Flex Forks will smooth out your ride and reduce if not eliminate your deck bouncing, thus not bending your pin.
    Regardless, I will bring this to the attention of our engineers again and see what they have to say.

Pj

9. amar

amar LawnSite Member

I just talked to my dealer Larrys Mower Shop. He said the Flex Fork is on a demo so I will try it out.
    Thanks

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good news....

This is the response I received from our engineers....

"We have changed the deck height adjustment pin to 1/2" along with 1/2" holes in the bar"

Now... the kinda Bad news....
    You will not see this for a few months... April / May....

Pj