1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler deck wheels (anti-scalp)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbo90423, Dec 8, 2009.

1. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

Can someone, anyone, please tell me a website to purchase deck wheels for a Super Z Hustler 60"..... let me clarify, I need not only the wheel... but the bolt and nuts. It seems the deck wheels break somewhat easily??? And for some reason the nuts came loose and I have lost the entire kit. I asked te dealer where I purchased my mower, but the price was extremely high. Thanks in advance....
  2. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

bolts and one nut - regular, one nut - narrower (or regular can be grinded)
    yea, design stupid - doesn't last long - they thought -just put bigger bolts and it would hold longer, wouldn't snap or bend...: ))))))))

in a short while it getting lose, thread on bolt wears out, you can't tighten it up, everything hanging loose and wearing-off mounts on the deck ...
    may be they let some tard to design it, but cheap built and poor design are not good - they really need to address these details some day : ))))

i'm using setup from exmark (wheel, bushing, bolt) on my superz - exmark's much better
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

p.s. hustler's roller wheels bit differnt (bolt diameter) - try to match other wheels, to order a part (can't tell website right now) or order from dealer, or change whole set
  4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a bolt snap today. I just replace with good 4.5" (should of got the shorter one) bolt, a nut, a few washers to use as spacers and a locking nut. Cost bugger all!
    I did the same thing on my old SZ and never had a problem after.
    I also lost a knob (for want of a better word) that hold the deck/pulley covers on the other day. Back to the bolts!
    Really should check all these things for tightness more often! All the scalp wheels and deck cover knobs were pretty loose!
  5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I do not know about after market wheels, but I went to Tractor Supply and bought grade 8 bolts and have not broke another one.
  6. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Even at retail from a dealer the wheel and hardware should only be around $10.00 a wheel. That doesn't seem to expensive to me.:dizzy:
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah and you won't believe this but they sell nuts and bolts at these Home Depot stores too. :dizzy:
  8. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm so gonna waist ten dollars in gas to leave a Hustler dealer and ride to Home Depot and Lowes to save a total of $1-1.50.:hammerhead: Hustlers nuts and bolts sure to fit, are not much higher then the same grade bolts at your hardware stores. Unless a dealer is just over pricing them. We don't.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

My problem with the factory bolts are that they are grade 3/5 do not remember for sure, but I do know that they were constantly breaking. Since I have changed to grade 8 bolts, knock on wood, I have not broken anymore.
  10. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing the same thing. The grade 8 seem to last longer. They won't bend as easy. Would it be so hard to have the engineers add a small strip of 1/4" metal to make it a 2 point mount? That would solve 99% of the bolt problem.