1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler demonstration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerconsultant, Mar 30, 2006.

Have you had a Hustler dealer demonstrate a Hustler commercial mower to you? or have

1. Yes

2. No

1. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Simple enough....
    Commercial users only please.
    Have you had a Hustler dealer demonstrate a Hustler commercial mower to you? or have you taken one out for demonstration / evaluation?
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

When I was shopping around I narrowed it down between a scag and a hustler. The scag people had one for me to demo and I thought it worked great. When I went to demo a hustler they didn't have one to use. They did tell me all about it, basicly the same stuff I'd already read on here. What sold me on the Hustler was the warrenty, the thick frame and the bagging system.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

when i start shopping for a Z in the hopefully near future, i will deffinatly be interested in looking at Hustler, they look very strong and their reputation on here seems VERY good.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a couple of demos by Chris in oztralia, he is very knowledgable, professional....the dealer I always wanted, but the old hustler deck didn't suit my needs, but he really knows how to opperate the equipt. unlike a lot of dealers and reps, no b.s sales pitch. Chris is a top bloke who knows his stuff, pity more were not like him.

if he had the 60'' R.D diesel unit in when I demoed the 72'', I would of bought one.

my deere dealer could learn a lot from Chris, e.g respect for one....

IF I was staying in the game, I'd be waiting for the diesel unit with the new xr-7 deck.

saw a husky demo yesterday, guy was saying they have a new deck, mulch and by removing a rear plate it was rear discharge.....this sounds good, has Hustler ever built anything like that?

husky were demoing their new flail mower thing.....good theory, but failed to impress.

Heard again officially from the government yesterday.....very soon opperators with side discharge mowers will not win tendors due to the safety, liability factor. hense the flail mower demo.

Whether we like it or not, this is the case, and I'm yet to see a rear discharge deck do a nice cut on 1 pass, plus rear discharge units do have issues.....

What has Hustler got lined up in the future for non side discharge cutting, neatly? Where clipping dispersal does matter.....

Apart from mulch kits :)
  5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought mine the dealer had exmark and hustler on the lot. He told me to test drive both and the choice will be obvious. It was, the Hustler from the minute i stepped on had better seat, better look, and better control. Now mind you was 2004, but since then his exmark sales have declined and Hustler went thru the roof. I did have the oppurtunity the other day to test drive two new super z's and a trimstar hydro that the local rep delivered down. (Thanks Darren)
    If I had not purchased a Permagreen ride on last week I probably would be making a trade, but not this year.
  6. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Small dealer where I live. I've been interested in Hustler brand for the past 2 years. Last year the dealer didn't have inventory when I was ready to buy. So I bought a Scag ZTR. This season I think he's in a similar boat. I"m thinking of a 36" WB. I called him about the "TrimStar" line and he said he won't be carrying any, but could order one. What is the difference in the following 2 36"/37" hydros:

Hydro WalkBehind, 15HP Kawasaki/37 HWB15KAW37A (925677) $5,280
    TrimStar Hydro, 15HP Kaw KAI 36" TS15KAW36A (927400 $4,699

Is the TrimStar less of a machine, as the ads push competetive price & value?

Thanks for your support of Lawnsite and us consumers of your product!

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

LONG Story
    I did GEt a Demo of the machine I bought. But it wasn't easy.

after about two years of research and memorizing the spec-sheets of several different manufactures different models I decided I wanted a 48" hydro floating deck WB with lots of power, large tires and NO pistol grips.
    local dealers sell Snapper , toro, scag and exmark. NO local dealer stocked any WB machines "but we'll order one If you going to buy it" I took a couple of trips to LIncoln and Omaha each 100miles one way, and some had WB in stock but not the model I wanted and NO hustlers. and the same "but we'll order one If you going to buy it". mOst tried to sell me a 36" belt (already have one) or a ZTR (don't want one.) I Finally heard of a HUstler dealer only 50 miles from me and contacted them. About this time of year in 2003 He finally got his distributor to bring in a 48" standard WB (not the super I wanted) for me to DRive for a few minutes. Couldn't cut with it, NO grass yet and can't get the machine dirty. After driving it around I knew I liked the h-bar better than anything else I had driven. But I wanted a superWB and I still hadn't seen a hustler cut grass. Finally around August I convinced the dealer to bring in a 48" super WB with a bull and accelerator bagger for me to try. But I basically had to Promise to buy it. I'm not sure what he would have done If I had said "it cut like crap take it back" or didn't buy it for whatever reason.
    So technically I did get to demo the machine before I had to pay for it but it wasn't an easy process like test driving a car. I will say that HUstler went farther than any other company or dealer did to get me the mower I wanted.
    I really don't know why manufactures and dealers expect us to buy something without demos.
  8. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Nope. No Hustler dealer in my area had any WBs for me to demo. I had to get the dealer to order one for me to buy. No telling when it will get here....
  9. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I have finally bought a Super mini Z 52" 24 Honda last season. The only local dealer we have started carrying Hustler along with the red ones he has always had. All the mowers I have bought were from a dealer 130 miles away. He had a demo of whatever I was considerring to me for no less than a week to try. If it was a model I ended up buying, he would bring a new one while I was still using the demo. His service has always been great. My local Hustler dealer, who I had never purchased from, got me a demo with 2 hours on it. I used it for two days and bought it. Although I like the Hustler, it is not the best mower I have, but I had to try my local dealer. Hustler has been great in their service part, but parts are slow to get here.
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY