Hustler diesel/CAT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by musselman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I know it is no longer made but I got a great deal on a Hustler Cat Diesel from my dealer. Its Easter so I havent called them with the problem yet and thought someone here my give me an answer. I get this machine home and it is way slower than my gas powered Hustler. Ill bet if we were mowing a football field my gas powered mower would get across the field while the new one was on the 60 maybe 70 yardline. Is there a break-in period (it has 16 hours on it) or an adjustment? I was told it should mow at 15 and the gas powered unit run 13-14 mowing. Any help on this would be nice, Im 3 hours from my dealer and really dont want to take this unit back.
    Any advise would be great
    Thanks

2. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Check your throttle cable and make sure you are getting full throttle!

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A new diesel engine will not really develop max. horsepower until you get about 100hrs. of break-in time on it. I would not be too concerned yet.

Hustler had a lot of problems with the Cat-powered machines, that is one reason they quit building them. Cat never really stepped up to the plate to support those machines when engine related problems cropped up.

4. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Local company had 4 of them years back. The owner said nothing but problems with them. Always something was braking down. Good luck. Hustler just stopped making them years back.

5. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Hustler had enough issues with them, most related to vibrations from the engine, to eventually stop production and make over the diesel powered ZTR. The new one is just being released. Best of luck with your unit but you may be getting to know your dealer a bit better.:cry:

6. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

a post in the hustler forum might help you more

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would say its an RPM issue. We deomed one a few years ago and the throttle on it was loose, it would not stay wide open.

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know anything about Hustler but in our Toro's you can put bolts in to regulate speed. Are there any in the handles?

9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

thanks guys Ill check the throttle cable. I did post in the Husler tread also

10. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

A few things to check
    1) Engine RPM, check throttle cable may have come loose
    2) Main engine belt condition and tention, check the long tentioner arm for damage and the spring is still on it
    3) Tow valves on the hydralic pump, should be snug tight
    4) external hydralic leaks, check pipes/hoses from pump to wheel motors