1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler, Dixie or Ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Which is best? 72" Hustler Super z w/ 28 efi, Dixie Chopper xtreme 72" w/33 Generac, Ferris 3100 w/ 32 B&S 72". I am looking for quality, reliability, safety, speed, ability to handle different terrains, quality of cut. I need to purchase this week. So far my best deal price wise is the Ferris at $9300(demo w 50hrs but looks brand new). All dealers seem good (except hustler might not have loaner if I have any down time) and are close to me.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You just asked this question but didnt include the ferris in your first thread. Just curious why you wont concider a Lazer or Toro?
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris Rocks

4. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

I like the ferris. And you can't beat the ride. And the cut is great also.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You got my answer in my PM that I returned to you.
  6. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I wasnt looking at ferris but I am gonna pick up a wright stander also and that dealer told me about the deal with demo he had which really confused things. I try to make informed decisions between a couple of mowers if I looked at all of them it would be a full time job. I do believe they(all makes) are all good mowers but am just looking for what will work best for me and be cost efficient. Hstler had a 1500 rebate, Dixie wasnt a bad deal, and now ferris is pretty good also. Financing was an issue and I can get 0% on the ferris. I also want to go fast.
  7. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

I do not know about the Ferris but I bought a Hustler 60. I have talked to guys who have 72 Hustlers with a 28 EFI here in FLorida and they say it is plenty of power. The Local airport said the 72 EFI as well as another lawn service told me the 28 EFI was fine for a 72 Hustler.

I have demoed a Dixie 33 with a 72 and I liked it but after owning a Hustler 60 27 if I were buying new and you want the toughest most reliable best servicing mower and a company that fixes it with no ?s asked get a Hustler. The 24 inch tires might be kinda small for a 72 but the mower is simply indestructable as far as the chassis and deck is concerned. I mow in FL and it will cut good in lighter grasses at 15 MPH. New I would consider no other mower.

I do know the ferris with the shocks is BS to me. The thing that makes a Hustler so tough is there are no unneccessary parts at all. I look at all other mowers and in my mind they are cobby and not well enigineered compared to my Hustler!
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris always had the ride of a forklift to me, and the new hustlers at my dealer are looking pretty good, so you know what my answer is!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

when's the last time you used one with their independent suspension?
  10. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

That is all Bull Chit! I run my Hustler wide open at 15 MPH in rough terrain and it runs fine. the ferris suspension models may look good on paper but eventually it will cost you more money and down time. I am telling you for reliability you cannot beat a Hustler.

I have 500 hours on mine now and all I have done is grease,airfilter,Changed a deck belt so I would have a spare. They had a problem with the pullies coming loose on the blade spindles but they have a update that is an easy fix and I had my relays updated.

I mean I just take this thing on beat run day after day and all the mower needs is grease and oil and a filter cleaning. No adjustments on anything in 500 hours just turn the key and go. The flat deck idler pullies are the weak link on a Hustler but thet replace them with no ?s asked. They start to go bad around 300 hours.

If I showed you the abuse we put a super through and you don't even have to put a wrench on it you would not believe it.