Hustler double cut....Scags and double cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnBanks, Jun 19, 2010.

1. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

My Hustler is almost always a double cut in fescue with weeds because it leaves a ton of stragglers. I am not sure if RPM's are down,but it is brand new. On turf fescue it is a one pass machine.

It makes me really mad that I have to do that, if you run a Scag 12mph in tall growth 3 inch with fox tails how often do you guys have to double cut.
  2. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have to double cut Fescue with my Scag walk-behind. Then again, I don't mow at 12 mph and expect good results either.
  3. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

if i mow tall weeds with my mini z it leaves straglers at any speed, because the deck on the hustler is not deep (it was mainly designed to be a finish mower on nice turf). If I pull my exmark lazer z off the trailer I can hit it one swipe and done. the deck on the exmark is like 2.5 inches deeper than the hustler.
  4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can mow my yard wide open but the cut is not as good as a slower speed. I have mowed and did one today grass that is 2ft tall and thick. had to cut it 3 times to make it look right. If I was a client I wouldnt want my yard cut at 12mph.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care what mower you are cutting with, mowing at 12mph will only negatively affect the cut quality....some mowers can do it better than others, but you will still see a poorer cut quality.

If you are leaving stragglers at 12mph, there is no problem with your mower...if you are leaving stragglers at 5mph with weekly growth, then you may have a problem.
  6. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Those 737's would mow at 10mpg and not leave hardly anything. If you mow at 5mph with a any 8000 to 11000 mower i think you should by a freakin walker.

All I am saying is that i have to double cut with a Hustler, do you have to double cut with a scag in spring growth, especially this years nutzo rain growth in the midwest.
  7. theheisk

theheisk LawnSite Member

I run a scag tt and a wright sentar and when it comes to weeds both will leave straglers. Normal turf at a weeks growth both machines will cut on a single pass. Thicker or wet turf is where the scag stands out. I ran a exmark last year and I will have to say it did handle the weeds alot better....still left a few straglers but not as bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not double cut anything but pond dams and something that looks like a hayfield. Have the Velocity decks.
  9. scagmanjosh

scagmanjosh LawnSite Member

My Tiger Cub w/ Velocity 48" will only leave a few visible half cut stringers if mowing full stick in very thin, tall weeds-- but its 100% better than what my Craftsman used to do mowing at half that speed.

Even in those conditions I can slow to 6-8mph and not have a problem. I have never had to double cut with it, unless just trying something stupid like cutting 8-12" thick grass full stick. Slow it down a little and it'll bushhog...

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow mostly Bahia and junk. I don't run either mower, but I have learned one very good tip from puppypaws & others here. I lowered my deck height from 4 inches to 3-1/2 inches. Seems to give me more lift. Now I don't mow at very fast speeds. 5 to 6 mph. But I really don't want to double cut, and I don't want any straglers. I watch a lot of LCO mow. I really can't say I see any one mowing faster than 5 or 6 mph. Must be a regional thing being able to run fast on easy grass, because you're not going to do that in Central Mississippi!