Hustler Excel 4600 diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landcruiser, Feb 15, 2003.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Any of you ever own or operate an Excel 4600 with the side wing mowers? This beasts cut 144" with a front 72" deck and two side wing decks? Are these machines quality built. I have an opportunity to purchase one with 677hrs and wanted some opinions based on experiences you've had with them.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have been building the Range Wing with a few different models over the years. The Range Wing was the first vehicle mounted wide area mower (not towed)
    The 4600 is the latest, and it is a great unit.
    Is the unit your looking at have hydraulic driven spindles ?
    If so it will be your best bet.
    How much can you get it for ?
    I dont think there are any Range Wing owners on this forum, but I could be wrong.
    Let me know if you have any questions I can answer for you.

Later
    Pj

3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Hey PJ I own a Hustler 261 can you get me a used Vac for it?
    I used to own a Hustler 400 with the Hi lift back vac. I sold it years ago. (why I don't know) Travis
    P.S. do they make a Hi lift back vac for the 261?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

261 ???
    We made those for like a year or so, they were not to popular.
    Are you sure you dont have a 260 or a 260K ??or maybe a 251 or 251K ???
    To make sure get me the model and serial # off of the id tag.
    Let me know, cause I can get you new and maybe a used catcher for it.

Later
    Pj

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Hey PJ . Yep a 261. I think its a 1985 or 1986. It doesn't get too much air time anymore. We mostly use the Bobcat ZTRs now. The dealer I had in my area lost the account or so I heard in 1989. The nearest dealer to me was a good hour away. We started to buy more and more Bobact walkbehinds and ZTRs. We have great dealer support with Bobcat 5 dealers within 10 miles of me. With Hustler the dealer support wasn't their so I sold my 400 series 72" deck Hi lift back vac. The 262 I kept for a back up mower. I have always said that Hustler had and still has the best leaf collection system. I want to get a collection system for it in October.I'll get you the model and serial # on Monday.Travis

6. landcruiser

from Tx

Yes, the 4600 I am looking at does have the range wings on both sides and they are hydraulic driven. It seems like the front deck is mechanically driven. Is this a 38 hp Kubota 4 cylinder diesel? Seems like this unit might be a bit underpowered, is it? I have 2 Toro 325D's that only cut 72" with 25hp and they need every bit of it. Do these hyd. driven motors on the mowers give much trouble. I am uneasy about something that pulls such a constant load being driven by hydraulics. Seems the fluid would get hot and cause incredible loss of power to these wings.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes the 4600 uses a 38 hp Kubota 4 cylinder diesel.
    We have not seen to many problems over the years with the hydraulic drive system on the 4600.
    The hydraulic drive system for the deck's have there own cooler and fan, it is mounted to the front deck, so it stays pretty cool, as long as you blow out the cooler a few times a week.
    Also the front deck is driven off a clutch that is on the flywheel of the engine, the side decks are driven by pumps that are mounted to the front deck spindles.
    What type of price are you going to get on this big boy ?

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me @ hustler@twcny.rr.com

Later
    Pj

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

That Will Run forever. You will always know where you Mowed!
    John

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I want to know price as well. the kubota 38 horse has loads of power. you will probably use all of it on the range wing though.
    Daveg

10. landcruiser

from Tx

I have only seen pictures of the mower but have not yet had a chance to go see it. I will in the next week or so. It looks great in the photos - typical of a unit with only 677hrs. I have no idea what I will have to pay for it. What do these units list for, or better yet, what do they actually sell for new? Mowerconsultant, can you tell me the price w/o the range wings and then how much one sells for with the range wings? I just need some idea of what a "real world" value is on these units so I know what I might have to give for it. Thanks for all your help folks. I will respond back once I actually go see the mower.