Hustler Fas Trak vs. Cub Cadet Enforcer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wormrancher, Jun 25, 2007.

1. wormrancher

wormrancher LawnSite Member

Looking for some advice here. Want to buy a heavy duty mower for 3 to 4 acre yard and need to stay under $5K. Been doing a little research and have narrowed it down to these two models mainly based on price, quality and features. Cub Cadet true commercial mower against well built Hustler residential... Which mower do you suggest for dependibility and cut?

Cub Cadet Enforcer
    11 gauge 54" deck
    23 HP Kawasaki
    twin 5 gallon tanks
    suspension seat
    built in rollers for striping
    pivoting front axle w/20" rear tires
    Commercial Grade (672 lbs.)
    $4700.00

or

Hustler Fas Trak
    11 gauge 54" deck
    21 HP Kawaski with Optional Honda
    suspension seat
    Twin 5 gallon tanks
    No striping kit
    solid front axle with 18" rear tires
    Residential rated at 815 lbs.
    extra blades, filter and hour meter
    $4800.00

How important will a pivoting front axle be? Relatively flat yard with some bumps and ditch line. Also, is a Honda motor (20 hp) worth the extra $70 over the Kawasaki?

Many thanks...

2. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

hustler all the way, I love hustler, there customer service is second to none.:weightlifter:

3. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

I think the hustler has better pumps?

4. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Literature on website says they both run Hydro Gear IZT 2800s.

Between these two I'd go with the Cub for:

(1) More ponies - 23 vs 21
    (2) Larger drive tires usually equals better ride
    (3) Next to no Hustler dealer network in my area

Another thing that did not impress me on the Hustler, but I did not have both machines sitting side-by-side to confirm, it has a relatively small discharge opening for the size deck. I think the Husqvarna EZ5424, now EZ5426, has a larger discharge. Come to think about it though, this was the 52" model, so I'm not sure if about the 54"er.

5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

Hustler-------4 yr bumper to bumper warranty, lifetime frame and leading edge, factory support, PJ............

6. nmurph

from ga

just re-read the initial post, since you are doing commercial work your warranty is-

Hustler - 1 year warranty-------hey, you've still got PJ, the best in the business.

what about dealer support and a demo?

7. wormrancher

This mower will be for my residence only. 4 year warrantly should be applicable. Thanks for the input.

I see that Hustler offers flex forks for their mowers. Anyone try these? Also, what about a mulch kit? Is that the second best alternative to bagging?

8. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I mainly use the mulch kit in fall, In use a power chute fully open in wide open areas and close it around walk ways and mulch beds. The flex forks are great.:weightlifter:

9. nmurph

from ga

sorry, read then re-read. i guess i had the info correct the first time. so, back to warranties, the hustler definitely has the cc beat. i have the MFT and will likely trade up to a FT. i am currently cutting 2 ac in 1 hour with a 17/42 MFT.
    there have been some complaints about the flex fork, but think overall they are welll liked. do a search and read some post.

10. wormrancher

Looks like some people love the forks and others can't wait to get rid of them. I may give them a try if I go with a Hustler.

Anyone have opinions on the Kawasaki vs. Honda engines for the FasTrak?