Hustler FasTrac hydraulic units

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jamesmcdonald, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jamesmcdonald

jamesmcdonald LawnSite Member

I have read several posts which indicate that the Hustler Fastrac integrated pump and wheel motors now have the following characterics: 1) the fluid can be changed and each unit has a filter, and 2) the units have an extra pump to circulate the fluid to let the units run cooler. Are these statements true and if so, which models and years have the new features?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We started installing the newer style IZT's over a year ago, in all FasTraks.
    E-mail me the serial # you may have in question and I can check it for you.

Pj

3. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Both IZT's were replaced in my Fastrak after about 50 hours. The new ones do come with a filter kit and magnetic plug to catch the small stuff. I just replaced the filters and have had no problems since the change. If you replace your own filters, be very careful not to overtighten them as they will break easily. I think the torque specs are 45 inch pounds. They are made VERY cheap. I found out the hard way. [$27.00 per kit]
    I also replaced the 20w50 motor oil with 15w50 Mobil 1. I checked the temp before and after the change and it dropped about 10 to15 degrees in each unit.
    Hustler was very impressive with their customer service and warranted the new units for a full 2 years. Thanks to Hustler.

4. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

How did you know your IZTs were failing, was it an obvious situation or just less responsive? I have a Fastrak that does not have the serviceable units and this low time failure talk has me concerned. Sounds like the sealed units were not the way to go.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The low time failure was due to the filters plugging up on the newer style IZT, this was because Hydro Gear installed incorrect filters.
    New filters installed by the dealers took care of the problem.

Pj

6. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The original units were not serviceable. They would stop completely and made loud groaning sounds. I had to stop and let them cool off. After 5 minutes or so they would work again for a while. At one point, one of them even foamed bad enough that oil came out the vent. My property is rolling terrain but is not steep.Since the new style units have been installed, I've had no problems.

7. reky

reky LawnSite Member

I was wondering what the fluid capacity of the izt unit is? I too want to put Mobil1 into the fastrak drive units and I was wondering how much I need to buy? I also wondered if doing that would void my warranty? Thanks

8. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The manual says 2 to 2.46 quarts. After my units were replaced, Hustler sent me a new owners manual and a dip stick to check the proper level. I can't answer you about the warranty, but I am running it in mine under warranty.

9. hustlerflier

hustlerflier LawnSite Member

My 20/52 Fastrac has the new IZT's and the new filters. I have been checking the temperature on them (with infared thermometer) since the first day I ran it. In 95 degree temps, normal use, some hills and lots of trees, the units run about 130 degrees. I can't believe they are this cool, but I've checked several times with two different thermometers. At this temp they should last quite a while.

10. fscot4283

fscot4283 LawnSite Member

If the filters are plugging they are picking up solids. If the mesh size was increased doesn't this mean the solids are being circulated? Doesn't circulating solids=accelerated wear especially for hydro units?