Hustler Fastrack or Kubota ZG23

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DrGrass, Apr 9, 2007.

1. DrGrass

DrGrass LawnSite Member
    from WV

So, I am ready to purchase my first zero turn mower. I have 1.5 acres to mow and I am looking at Hustler and Kubota for my first mower (I know there is about $2100 difference in the models). I really like the overall look and seat height of the Kubota. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I had a cub cadet lawn mower since 1998 (piece of junk). The financing on the Kubota is much better than the Hustler and there are dealers locally for both. However, I am open for suggestions...
  2. flgtr95

flgtr95 LawnSite Member

I had a dealer that sells the Kubota along with Exmark tell me to stay away from the gas engine models. He said they make a very good desiel, but they use Kohler engines on the gas. I agree with you on the overall look and feel. The Kubota is a sharp looking mower. Another factor to consider is the blade tip speed. I think the Hustler is over 18,000 fpm while the Kubota is around 16,000 fpm. The Hustler should give a better cut. The Fastrak has many accessories available for it too at a better price than the Kubota. If you have a Exmark dealer nearby, give them a look to. Another consideration is how flat/smooth is your acrege? Bigger tires usually result in a smoother ride. Heard good things about Ferris and it's independent suspension, but I would stay away from the IS 1500Z model. The front suspension was not independent and my feet would bounce all over.

In the end, I would probably choose the Hustler over the Kubota. If your looking at the ZG23, why not look at a Mini-Z or Super Mini-Z instead of the Fastrak?