Hustler Fastrak 48 inch Super Duty Vs. Scag Tiger Cub 48 inch velocity plus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by james mcdonald, May 15, 2008.

1. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

Owners of these two mowers. Any comments on what you like or dislike about them? What kind of lawns do you mow, commercial or residential?
  2. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

I have the Hustler 48 FTSD, 25 hp Kawi. GREAT cut, fast (no need to double cut,) low maintenance. Commercial and residential.
  3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I have a scag tiger cub 48 inch velocity with a 19 kawi I have mowed with the fastrak before and the scags deck is so much better its not even funny. I would take the scag before I would ever touch a hustler fastrak. Scag is tough as nails as well. Which dealer is the best?
  4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Apples to Oranges
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

.....And your point? :usflag:
  6. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

I should have left the versus out. I really just want opinions from those who own one or the other mower and how they like them. Like, for instance, I was warned to stay away from the hustler mini z 48 inch with 19 hp kaw because several thought it was under powered.
  7. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I think that you are comparing the wrong mowers. The Tiger Cub is much more heavy duty than the Hustler Fastrack. Are the prices similar where you live? Also, I would like to add that I own a Hustler so I am not biased.
  8. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I cut commercially and use all models of Scags, I own 2 tiger cubs and love them. I'm sure Hustler makes a good mower(I've never owned one)but I use all Scags. The velocity deck is awsome for tall or wet grass and leaves a beautiful cut. There is more steel in Scags decks and they're just tough mowers. Just as important as the brand you buy, is the dealer you buy from.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned both decks. The SCAG wins HANDS DOWN.

I had a Hustler 52"/19hp and it was a PIG. Hustler may say that this combination is their best seller, but that doesn't matter.

I can cut Fescue at 3.75" once, where as before with the Hustler I would have to double or triple cut on anything over 3".
  10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the apples to oranges analogy because the fastrak super duty has the integrated ZT2800's instead of the pump and wheel motor combination that the tiger cubs have.