Hustler Fastrak - Front Wheel off Rim

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by kevanosd, Sep 30, 2005.

1. kevanosd

kevanosd LawnSite Member

My Fastrak's front wheel occasionally will pop off the rim when I'm mowing around trees or roots, etc... What happens is I'll be backing up or turning, causing the front wheel to spin around. It sometimes catches just right and pops it off the rim. It fits right on, but inflating it is a pain, if not impossible! It doesn't fit on the rim tight when uninflated, and it's next to impossible to get a tight enough seal so it will actually inflate. What do I need to do to fix this? I know it came with sealant in the tire originally... do I need to add more? Help, please!

Very frustrated with a half-mown lawn....

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

More air pressure would stop it most of the time from coming off the rim.
    As far as re-inflating it, it is tricky, you need both hands to be pushing on the tire to bring the bead closer to the rim and a large volume of air to seal it fast.
    You could also put a tube in it, that would stop it from coming off the rim and also eliminate your inflating problem.

Pj

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Just be carefull and don't over inflate the tire as that will lead to a much harsher ride.....if it keeps comming off, you might have it under inflated or streched the bead out so bad that it won't hold a real good seal. You could get them foam filed, never have a flat tire again, but it does add to the weight of the machine and like over inflating, can cause a harsh ride. Tires are part of the suspension.....

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

try taking a rope and pulling it around the tire. then snug it up by using a stick to twist it tight. then inflate.

5. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

When my tire broke the bead i wrestled with it for over an hour,fianally I wised up and took the core out of the valve. That got enough air in there quickly to pop the bead on the rim.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I always kept a set of the small ratchet straps on the truck. if I did loose the bead if I wraped the strap around the center of the tire it pushed the sides out enough to usually get the bead to set up again.....

I never used the fix-flat stuff, after wrestling with tires that had the gunk inthem, it was not worth the messiness....

7. jcasper

jcasper LawnSite Member

If you have a small wratchiting (sp?) hold down strap wrap it around the tire and tighten it down, this should set the bead, Then inflate and let the strap loose and add a little more air. Works great when you've only got twp hands.
    Mike :rolleyes: