Hustler Fastrak or Exmark Lazer Z CT?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TiredOfWalking, Oct 2, 2003.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

I'm not a commercial guy, just someone with about 3+ acres to mow every week....and I'm tired of walking! My father let me borrow his tractor and that's no fun either. Too many trees and other obstacles. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting a ZTR machine.

Again, this is for residential use (3 acres for me and another 1+ at my neighbors).

What I was looking at are two ZTRS. First is the Hustler Fastrak with a 52 in deck and an 18hp Honda. I found people asking about $4500 for a new one.

Second is the Exmark Laser Z CT. Will be looking at one later today. I'm thinking 44in deck...maybe a bit bigger. Not sure of price.

Can anyone give me there thoughts? Hustler or Exmark? Also, what is a good price for each?

Thanks much!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get the biggest deck and HP you can get, Plus look at how the mower cuts.
    I prefer Exmark.
    John

3. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

why not get a good used one if your just cutting 3acres a week but if your thinking about getting in the business you might want a new one. you can go to your dealers and ask them if they have a z or look in the paper

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Several good suggestions people have made.

Personally, between the 2 machines you mentioned, no offense to Exmark, but I would have to say Hustler hands down. If you have already looked at the Fastrak you will know exactly what I mean when you see a Lazer CT.

I don't think Exmark built the CT to compete with the Fastrak or the Toro Timecutter. I think all 3 stand sort of in there on class and my desrciption of each would be....

Toro - Homeowner 1 cyl engine, homeowner drive system, whimpy deck, whimpy frame.

Exmark - Commercial 1 cyl engine, commercial drive system, commercial deck, whimpy looking frame.

Hustler - Commercial V-Twin engine, homeowner drive system, commercial deck, beefy commercial frame.

To me, the only thing that prevents the Fastrak from being a full on commercial mower is the drive system, and frankly that's not saying alot. I haven't heard of any service issues related to that type of zero turn drive system and I bet there is no more trouble with those than we have with our pump and wheel motor drive on the commercial versions.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Personally I don't think either one has enough horsepower.
    But I would definitely stay away from a 52" 18 horse ZTR.
    23 horse is just barely enough at times on the lazer hp 52".

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY