Hustler Fastrak or John Deere Z445

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rainman14624, Apr 7, 2007.

1. rainman14624

rainman14624 LawnSite Member

Fastrak is 52-inch cut with 20-hp Kohler Courage. JD is 54-inch cut with 25-hp kawasaki. Both are about $4,600. Cutting 3 acres on five- to seven-day intervals, depending on rainfall. I'm a bit worried about the single-cylinder Kohler since it's relatively new technology. I'm replacing an 11-year-old Craftsman rider with a 15.5 Kohler Command, which runs like the day I bought it. The rest of the tractor is just coming apart. Plus, I want to cut my mowing time as much as possible, although that's the limit of my budget.

2. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler does have a really sweet waranty,

• 4-year limited, parts and labor warranty
    • Lifetime warranty on the
    tractor frame
    • Lifetime warranty on the leading
    edge of the deck
    • 1-year limited commercial warranty

But for the money, that JD sounds sweet. I am not educated at all on John Deere stuff, but it sounds like a good value. The Kawi engine is probobly way better.

3. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just went to the JD website. The JD is faster and has bigger drive tires.

4. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

The JD motor is much much better, and the 2" wider deck will probably show up, but check the pump and motors. Deere won't make junk, but I suspect the machine is made to a price point, so it had to compromise something. Since the hustler is already using integrated pumps (As I recall), I don't think the deere will be much worse, but it's worth checking the torque rating of the setup.

I'm fairly sure the deck will not be the good 7 iron stuff, but I've used smaller gauge deere stamped decks that lasted a very long time. But I would be real carefull to test it and ensure it mulched well.

If it mulches well and there isn't a huge disparity in the pump/motor setup I'd say the deere is the safe and even better bet.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a John Deere dealer in your town, by the Deere.

6. rainman14624

Sorry guys, I was mistaken on which Hustler model. It's the Mini Z, so the Deere is looking better all the time. I understand the main drawback on the Deere is the deck, but I don't think that's a deal killer. It should cut as well or better than my ragged Craftsman.
    Thanks for the input.

7. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Cant be the Mini Z. They run about $6000 on sale, if that. And a Mini Z would be much better than the Z445. The Fastraks are in the same price range as the Z445. Ive heard most homeowners that have Fastraks really like them. The Deere is a new model so that one is up in the air. Both have good dealer support if you have dealers in town. Dont buy from a chain store if no dealer to fix problems. Either of them will make your 11 year old Craftsman look bad.

8. ranger100

ranger100 LawnSite Member

Just went through the same delima as you about 2 weeks ago. I was considering both. I went with the 06 Hustler Fastrak 20/52 Honda. Both dealers Hustler/JD were about 5 miles from me, so that was not a problem. When you look at what they offer, Hustler way out does the JD. 4 Year warranty vs 2 Year JD. The decks are not comparable. The JD is not even in the same league as the Hustler. Hustler is built like a tank. I had the same delima with the 1 cyl. Kohler about $500 less than Honda. However, my Hustler dealer gave me a better deal $4550. w/ an extra set of blades on the Honda. It cuts my 1.5 acres of bermuda like butter. JD would not come off their price at all. I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Don't let the JD dealer get you caught up in pumps. The hustler is as close to a commercial mower as you can get w/out it being commercial. I just wish my grass would grow faster so I could use it more. Hope this helps!

9. rainman14624

A lot has changed since the weekend. I've now eliminated the JD completely, first because of the deck and second because of their attitude. I'm not going to pay MSRP for anything. I'm just that hard-headed. I can get a Hustler Fastrak with 18-hp Honda and 48-inch cut for $4,800 or a 20-hp Honda and 54-inch deck for $5,200. And I've added another option, the Scag Freedom Z with 26-hp Briggs ELS (with updated air intake and filter) for $4,995. So many choices, so little grass.

10. ranger100

ranger100 LawnSite Member

Your right, there are too many choices. I also looked at the Yazoo/Kees Esteem series. I liked it along with the Scag Freedom Z. For me, my limit was $5000 (tax included). The Scag went over the budget and it was only 48" cut. Not that that is a big difference, but I wanted the most cut for the money. For me, the customer service and the 4 year warranty sold me on the Hustler. I don't think you will go wrong with whatever you choose. I just feel for $5000, I better be REAL happy. :laugh: