Hustler Fastrak or Scag Freedom Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaloCir9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

I am new to the site and also new to the ZTR market.

I am purchasing a home with a 1 acre lot (relatively flat and wide open) and am looking for a ZTR that is well built and durable and is not too pricey. I would like to stay around $5k.

I have been looking at the Hustler Fastrak and the Scag FreedomZ.

I am not sure what deck size or engine I will need.

If there are any other ZTR suggestions, i.e. exmark, please feel free to comment.

I appreciate the responses.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I originally bought a Cub Cadet Enforcer but had some serious issues with it. I talked to the dealer and he contacted CC about the problems. They replaced it and I returned it for a full refund. I decided to go with Scag. My dealer let me use a Freedom Z for a week while waiting to get my Tiger Cub. It worked better then I thought, cut great, handled great and felt more stuck on hills then the Enforcer. I would recommend a Freedom Z in a heart beat. I almost decided then to just keep the Freedom Z but Scag doesn't offer a power assist bagger for the Freedom Z and I will need a power assist bagger for leaf clean ups. The Freedom Z felt smooth, easy to drive and cut great. The price is about what your looking to spend too.

I never demo'ed a Hustler but did look into them. They didn't seem to be as nice as the Scag and I've heard the cut isn't the greatest but the price was alittle cheaper then the Scag.
  3. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

The only problem w/ the Hustler I have had is the service from the dealer and company. I contacted the company about a problem w/ the dealer and the rep on this PJ sent me to a guy in Philadelphia. The guy in Philadelphia said that he liked the dealer and I was lying about the problem. I said to him regardless I would simply like to use another dealer for warranty repairs. He said he would get back to me and never did. He actually said if I couldn't work it out w/ the local dealer I should consider selling it. So he insulted and lied to me. Apparently you need to spend more w/ them to get consideration.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

After getting the Tiger Cub, I realized it didn't have scalping wheels on the back sides of the deck. The dealer called Scag and asked if he could get some of the brackets that hold the wheel/bracket to the deck (the one welded to the deck) and he said he'll ship them out this week. So the raw brackets and the painted brackets that hold the wheels, the wheels and bolt are all on their way n/c..... I'll have to weld the brackets in place on the deck but thats me, I love fabricating and welding stuff.
    Alittle of topic here.....

I built this bicycle out of exhaust pipe from the Midas shop I worked at and a Schwinn OCC chopper bike. You can see in the close up pic of the frame just how smooth I can be with a mig welder. :D

5. cutsit

cutsit LawnSite Member
    from MO

I looked at the Scag and Hustler as well as Bush Hog and Cub.

I ended up with a Bad Boy ZT. I've been happy with the choice.

Tried really hard to like the Hustler. Small wheels in the rear means a rougher ride. Dealer kept talking about the four year warranty as opposed to the other's two year. I asked him if Hustler had alot of warranty repairs. He said no. i didn't like the ergos of the Hustler. Felt like I was sitting in a hole.

The local Skag dealer was never around when I tried to stop by. Also didn't like the ergos. Too hard to get off the thing. Feet too far forward.

Liked the Bush Hog. Didn't like the price.

Bad Boy had a stouter deck for less money than any of the others. Front casters are stout too. I like the way it sits.

The only things I don't like about the Bad Boy are the location of the choke which is between your feet and no arm rest on the seat. Seat upgrades are available. Can't find any where to relocate the choke to.

Hope this helps.
  6. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

I was also looking at the Exmark Quest.

How do they compare? Hustler Fastrak, Scag Freedom Z, and Exmark Quest?
  7. cutsit

cutsit LawnSite Member
    from MO

Really, all the mowers mentioned have the Hydo-Gear ZT2800 drive system so there is no difference there. The only variables are the engines, decks and frames. Most frames are close if not the same size and guage. Be careful when pricing mowers that you are comparing apples to apples. The engine options will change the cost. Hustler offers Kohler, Honda and Kawasaki power. The others all start with the Briggs ELS.

I have the ELS on the Bad Boy and have been real happy with it so far. Lots of power and is way more fuel efficient than my Deere 318.

I changed the oil at the 5 hour service and couldn't believe that a oil filter for the Briggs was $11.

You also need to think about dealer support.

I never considered the Exmark. It was priced the same as the Hustler and I liked the Hustler better, so it got marked off the list early.
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Palo, If you don't mind me asking, what part SJ are you in (county)?
  9. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

currently I live in Camden County
  10. f1r3w4ll

f1r3w4ll LawnSite Member

I buy a week ago a 36 scag freedom with 17 twin Kaw.

Nice Machine run and cut really good.

I pay 5100 with tax and paper work include