Hustler Fastrak SD owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zemzabob, Jun 4, 2008.

1. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

How much mowing can you get done on average with a full tank of fuel?

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Need more info - size of deck and engine would help.....:usflag:

3. zemzabob

Sorry 25 54" and 23 48"

4. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

I have the 54" 25Kaw and have mowed my approx 1 acre bermuda lawn 5 times this year and still have approx 1/4 - 3/8 in each tank as I switch back and forth and have just over 4 hours on the machine.

One time it was pretty wet and I had to do some double cutting as I have the mulching kit and blades installed. Hope this helps.

5. zemzabob

It helps very much thank you. How are you liking it? That is the same model that I'm leaning toward. What are the Pros Cons? any help would be great thanks again.

6. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

So far I love it! This is coming from a JD LT160 and a Snapper 32" ZTR that I previously had. The Hustler will cut circles around both of them and in my opinion leaves a better cut, especially better than the Snapper I had.

The only con that I have had is when I was cutting some wet (not soaked) bermuda I had to double cut a few areas where it was the thickest (3.5-4" being cut off). Not the entire yard but a few areas it left some grass that was not cut up the best and in 2 strips where it was high it left a very small trail row of grass. All I did was raise the blade one notch, went back over it and it was gone. This was only one mow. The JD or the Snapper would have bogged down badly and left a bad cut and a lot of uncut grass lying around. It does have more blowout than my JD had but now that the grass is growing well and partially dormant I don't notice it as bad.

Every other time the cut is one time and has looked great. Pro's great cut, fast (1/2 the time vs JD), comfortable with a great ride without flex forks or suspension seat, large fuel tanks, definetly the price for features, and easy to use.

I cannot comment on how the cut is on other types of grasses. I would definetly try to demo the unit on the type of grass you will be cutting. The dealer I purchased it from has been around for 40 years and is known for there service which was a factor in my decision. I demoed the Scag Freedom Z and the Hustler SD and for me the Hustler won out. The main reason was the engine choices 19kawa 52" deck vs. 25kawa 54" deck.

Honestly, the mower is way overkill for my 1.25 acre lot especially when you subract the house, large drives, Landscaped pool area, trees, etc, but I love it. It will allow me to have time to mow my yard every 4-5 days during the high growth season and keep it shorter which IMO looks better on Bermuda. I mowed Sunday and rain permitting will mow again Friday evening. I will try to take some pictures and post them if you care to see them.

7. zemzabob

Hey thanks that would be great can't wait to see them.

8. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

Just purchased one and I am very pleased so far.
    Yard: Mowed a mix of fescue, clover and burmuda grass at 2-1/4 inches and left an excellent cut. Cut off about 2 inches. No stems or clover seed balls. I like the fact that this deck does not tend to throw things which is important around windows.
    Pasture: Mowed some grass along fence line about a foot high. With stiffer grasses like fescue, it cut most of it at about 3 inches high on the first pass. Had to take it slow since this deck wants to chop everything up. No clogging though. Tall clover was another matter. The front wheels and front edge of deck push down some of the very limp and moist clover so that some double cutting required. Fortunately I do not cut much of this and it got out of hand this time.
    Very easy to manuver, operate, quick, comfortable, good trim edge ability and the lack of a lot of baffling lets you cut right up almost all of the deck edges. My yard has a lot of contours and this deck followed the ground as well as the direct ground contact deck garden tractor I was using which is impressive for a relatively large deck. No scalping at 2-1/4 inch setting.
    Fuel consumption: About 3 gallons for the same amount of cutting I did with the garden tractor (14 hp cast iron Koler/44inch deck) which used about 4 plus gallons. Pleasant surprise.
    Cutting time was 2.5 hours compared to about 4 hours for the fully hydraulic drive of the garden tractor. More importantly, the hustler did not tire me at all like the garden tractor.
    The flexible chute is designed such that I was able to cut in some really tight areas.
    Only concern is the long term durability of the integrated hydros which operated superbly. I will say that the superduty for some reason operated more smoothly and seemed to be constructed tighter than the regular fastrak I tested.

9. zemzabob

Hey James thanks for the info. Have they had any problems with the Hydros that you know of?

10. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

No problems that I know of, but they are relatively new. I believe the final drive gearing may be different than in the regular fastrak.