1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Flex Forks Input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Jan 19, 2008.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours on your Hustler flex forks and what are your opinions, are they maintaining their original strength or getting weaker, dipping, swaying and scalping more.

Who has the most hours with no problems, has anyone beside myself had to replace them? What is your overall opinion of the flex forks, (likes and dislikes) would you recommend them to someone buying a new Hustler and would you like to see them offered for other brand name mowers?
  2. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

508 hrs., can't tell any difference. Like Hustler as a company, but the ones who have had problems have a legit gripe. It appears to be a quality control problem and Hustler should have warranted them. Likes? Good ride. Dislikes? Have to slow to make turn to keep from dipping. But, that's what springs do. Would not have the machine without them. Hustler doesn't want to offer them for other brands. What would happen if Scag, Exmark, and others had a decent ride?

Reckon your problem might be mowing at 90mph?
  3. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Bump !!!!!!!
  4. puppypaws

Good point and I agree 100%, Hustler should have made it right with the ones having a problem. I can say mine definitely changed and Hustler handled it properly, it was an unbelievable difference when they were replaced. I did not actually realize how much function-ability had been lost due to it creeping up on me over time. The new ones made it ride and operate like a totally different machine. I would be willing to bet even with you thinking yours have not changed; if there were new ones put on you could tell a difference.
  5. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Probably. But as long as we don't scalp and stuff, it will be interesting to see how long I will be able to use them. Can't understand this problem. Rubber don't wear out.
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have only demoed a Hustler with Flex Forks. Big difference, that's for sure. Makes for a wonderful ride and handles much better.
  7. puppypaws

You have a good testimony to the longevity of the flex forks and I definitely want you to keep us informed to number of hrs. and any changes you may see over time.

I'm like you; that rubber (if compounded properly) should out last most all components on the mower, look what the rubber on tractor trailer suspensions go through.
  8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

600 plus hrs and as good as the day they were new. No wear, loosening or weakening at all!
  9. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

If you could also post when you received your Flex Forks that would be great. Maybe that way we can tell if the later ones are better.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I only demo'd a Flex Fork machine. The ride IS nice.

However, with 7-8psi in the tires I can get a decent ride w/o them. Plus, I'm not gouging trees and buildings with the broad shouldered Flex-Fork horizontal tube that really got in the way on my demo.

Buddy has them and loves them.

If they made them more compact and tighter to the front tire, I would strongly consider them.