Hustler for a 1.5 acres?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tkcrabby, Jul 26, 2006.

1. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,
    I have an acre and a half, part, maybe 1/3 of it is a little on the rough side, it's where some of the lines for my septic system has settled some over the years ,,,,, other than that it's pretty smooth. My buddy has a 50" cut Dixon Ram that he bought late last year, I like it as I've mowed my lawn twice with it so, I know I want a 48-52 inch cut ZTR mower,,,, the Dixon dealer is a LOT closer to my home BUT if Hustler (or some other brand) is better than Dixon I'll go that route, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need,,,,,,,,, I did start thinking of a mower with the IZT trans,,,,,,, but have been told that with the ground it'll be mowing that I need a mower with "wheel motors & pumps" so, do I need a "FasTrak" or a "Mini Z" ?

If I decide to go with Hustler, please if any dealers read this tell me what's the very best deal for the mowers listed so I know what to expect from the Hustler dealers near me. II don't want to waste my time driving 35 45 miles to the nearest Hustler dealer IF their machines are all going to be out of my max price.

Thanks guys!:)

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Go to a dealer and look at a FasTrak, you will immediately see why it is among the finest residential zero turn mowers on the market.
    We offer the best warranty (not that you will need it) on the market, 4 years !!
    Are you mowing a slope or hill? I would wonder why someone said you needed pumps and wheel motors.

3. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

"Are you mowing a slope or hill? I would wonder why someone said you needed pumps and wheel motors."

Yes, BUT it's not much of a slope,,,,,,, my house has a walk out basement but the slope is NOT very steep. My buddy next door has a 2005 Dixon Ram 50" cut ZTR w/ 25 hp Briggs and his 1.75 acres is much MUCH steeper than mine and it does fine for him.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What degree would you guess it is? and how long is this stretch of mowing?
    I don't see why (not knowing the steepness of the hill makes me wonder) you couldn't mow it fine with our FasTrak, it has the IZT's that are charged and also that are used in other brands of commercial mowers.

5. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Q. "What degree would you guess it is? and how long is this stretch of mowing?"
    A. I don't know the degree BUT it's not bad,,, I mean I've been mowing it for the entire 11 years we've been there with an old Snapper 16hp rear engine with a 42" deck,,,,,,,,, the old snapper has all but died now and is down as I type this,,, my neighbor who has the Dixon (which has the IZT trans)has allowed me to use this Ram 50" cut twice and it does a fantastic job.

"I don't see why (not knowing the steepness of the hill makes me wonder) you couldn't mow it fine with our FasTrak, it has the IZT's that are charged and also that are used in other brands of commercial mowers."
    The one dealer who told me that the wheel motors and pumps would be the way to go for me told me this when he asked and I answered that I do have a little hill on my property,, he's not seen it ,,,, he went on to say that because my back yard which is a little rough on part of it because of the septic lines settling some, that the wheel motors and pumps would be better because of that as well.

Please explain, what's the difference between the IZT's that are "charged" and NOT charged? I've noticed this in some of the specs on some models,,,,,,,,,, so you have some that have the IZT, then some that have the Charged IZT, and finially the wheel motor & pump equipped models.....

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am still wondering how steep, I could never suggest a certain mower for safety reasons for mowing a hill, but it you can mow it with another brand of z and you feel comfortable I would think you would be fine on our brand.
    The charged IZT's have a charge pump out of a commercial duty BDP-10 pump to pump the fluid through the IZT drive system, this makes this IZT a commercial grade unit and works much better than a non charged IZT.

7. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They are IZT-C model's, as in charged IZt's, this is all we have used for several years in the FasTrak.

9. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply,,,,,,,, again, I was /am just a little confused I guess as this is a quote from the spec sheet on the web site:

"Transmission Dual Hydrostatic, Hydro-gear IZT"

So, I'm sure you can see my confusion as it has no mention of a "C" after the IZT...........

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They have been C-IZT's since march of 2003.
    I found this…..
    This is found on page 20 of the FasTrak owners manual located on our manual download website here > http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Manual/Manual.html
    The FasTrak manual is located here http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Manual/Manual.html

Hydraulic system
    FasTrak 44/52
    The Hustler FasTrak 44/52 are equipped with two Hydro-Gear C-IZT
    integrated pump/motor transmissions. Fig. 4-1

FasTraks have a replaceable filter which will require replacement every
    200 hours or 2 years whichever comes first. The required service involves
    draining the oil and installing a new filter kit (Hustler p/n 789511). Fill
    with new 20W50 engine oil.