hustler hydro motor problem

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by chadwhick, Sep 6, 2006.

1. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

Just bought a used 60" super z with 50 hours. I used it last week and noticed on turns and going up hill @ low speed but where there's pressure on the left wheel it would grab as it went... my dealer says that the wheel motor is shot and needs replacing. what would cause this to happen @ 50 hours and is it something that could cause more problems or could I just mow until it went out completly?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If it truly needs a wheel motor I would get it taken care of immediately, a wheel motor failure can do damage to the pump.
    I would also ask the dealer to make sure there is not air in the system and also to check the parking brake and parking brake backing plate bolts, they may have already did this.
    How old is this mower? what is the serial #?
    50 hours is certainly a low hour failure and not common at all.
    Let me know.

Pj

3. chadwhick

Thank you PJ, I didn't specifically ask aoubt air in the systme. it's only a year old. what would cause a hydro motor to go bad? ...just a defect? or could something cause it? The original dealer is a large one and deals with hustler alot. I took it to my dealer and they diagnosed that I need a new hydro motor. I talked with the original dealer and they said there is still some warrenty and they will take care of it and check to see if the motor really is the problem. I don't have the serial #. the mower is at the shop.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

With only 50 hours on it if its bad it would be something from the manufacture process I would think.
    If it is only a year old it is under warranty, make sure your dealer knows who the original owner was and that a warranty transfer was done or in the works.

Pj

5. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Mine acted the same way at about 75 hours. Finally locked up at 150 hours. I figured it had to be a problem from the factory to go bad that fast. Had the wheel motor replaced under warranty and it works great now. Mine is an 06 Super Z.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem out of my 2760 superZ at 100 hrs. After the hydraulic oil heated up, the left wheel would grab on turns and during accel and decel. The dealer said that my roll valve was not tightened properly. They got all the air out of the system. The problem seems to be fixed.

7. chadwhick

ya, the hydro motor ended up being bad. they replaced it and it drives great now.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Was it taken care of under warranty?

Pj

9. chadwhick

yes it was covered under warrenty. thank goodness!!!

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear.