Hustler Hydro Walkbehinds being discontinued?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ITRY, May 7, 2006.

1. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

Are the Hustler Hydro Walkbehinds being discontinued? My dealer said they were being replaced with the Trimstar series.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes.
    The The Trimstar hydro's are replacing the current hydro walk behinds.
    The Trimstars are more compact, have the new XR-7 decks on them, also they have the 2nd generation H-Bar steering with cruise control.
    Overall it is less expensive also.
    We cant build these TrimStars fast enough, they are in demand...
    Demo one and you will see why.

Pj

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

But the trimstarts don't have the power, large tires and transmission set up of the super WB. Is Hustler going to make a trimstar with the larger smoother-riding tires? or a 48" with at least 20hp?
    how about a 54"/with the 24hp Honda? or a 60" with 27hp that was promised several years ago?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The TrimStars have the power needed for there applications.
    As to other models of TrimStars, I know they are on a list of items we plan on doing, at what point and time, I do not know.

Pj

5. PaulJ

17hp is not enough for a 48" for MY application!

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd have to agree that 17hp on a 48" deck is marginal if you are mulching or mowing heavy grass while discharging, both situations you face often. I had a torquier Kohler 20hp twin on a 48" deck mower and it would not cut like the 23hp Kawi I have now on the same deck. 19hp or bust. (what's the price difference, $150 or so?)

7. PaulJ

Forget it Bruce.

It seam that Hustler is giving up on the super wB before it even had a chance. They created a whole new category of mower and now are abandoning it. The category I mean is a WB that can pull a sulky and do anything a similar size rider can do and more and keep up.
    NO one else had built anything that could do that before. NOthing that was built with the same features of a high end rider but with the versatility of a WB.
    We'll se who steps in and takes over this niche in the market. I know a couple of manufacturers that are close.

8. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Paul,

We get the point. You have posted several times here in LS your feelings on the Super Walk. It's time to let it go. The super WB was geat in my oppinion too. In fact, I think you purchased my demo, the one I brought to Craft's.

But, like many other reps and dealers the midwest, we would much rather sell hundreds or thousands of new little diesel z's than maybe 20 Super Walk mowers. I want Hustler to spend time engineering models that fit a wider span of customers.

9. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

I agree with Paul, it is too bad that they discontinued the Super. I have decided to trade in my 2004 Hydro 37 inch with low hours on a 54 inch Super. I hope to pick it up this week. I planned on doing this next year but decided to get one of the Supers while I can.

10. PaulJ

If the hustler dealers and distributers only knew what they had in the super WB they wouldn't have had such a hard time selling them. since I bought mine at least a dozed new red wB have shown up in town and none of them had even heard of the huslters.. the super can out mow any of them. '

I just hope that hustler remembers the features that made the super wB great if they decide to built a larger WB on the trimstar frame!