1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Idler Pulley Issues

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Choctaw Scalper, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

I recently had my deck idler pulley go out. Bearing locked up and burned the pulley up. When I took the pulley into the dealer he said they are replacing them left and right. Actually had the part under his counter. I replaced that two weeks ago. Last week my pulley on the spindle wore through all the teeth. Been waiting for almost a week for the new part. Think it is related to the deck idler pulley going out?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What model mower do you have?
    When did you buy it?
    How many hours are on it?
    Commercial or residential use?
    I need some information so I can look into this for you.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I go through them like crazy on a old super Z, and and XR7. I just keep spares around because they go so often.
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am hearing more on LawnSite about people having problems with idler pulleys going out. What does Hustler know about this and is there anything being done such as a heavier bearing pulley? I am also hearing about some hydro problems after 200 hrs. on the Super Z's, is there a problem Hustler is familiar with?
  5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We updated the bearing in the deck idlers (Z and Super Z) a year ago, if your having a problem with them make sure your dealer is aware of it.
  6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is no common problem at any certain hour interval.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 06 XR-7 66" and have had no problems, are you saying this deck has the upgraded pulleys and if so what change did Hustler make to remedy the failures.

Did Hustler have a issue with any of the hydraulic components they were using, if so did they change any brands of components because of this.

The people I am hearing talk about the hydro problems, is this one of those deals where one out of a thousand goes bad and that is all you hear about or is it one in a hundred and there could be a cause?
  8. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

I have also gone through 2 idler pulleys on a 2 year old 52 Fastrak with 70 hours. The bad part was that it was only covered under warranty if the dealer did the repair.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too. I keep spares handly. The only fault I can find with my Hustler Z is those idler pulleys. They are generic. Hustler did not design them, they are off the shelf.

I hope my new Exmark has better idlers.

10. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

how do you know if you are having idler pulley problems? What should I be looking for?