1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler is working on a new diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jul 14, 2006.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

. They are supposed to be going to test a new 38 HP diesel with a much lighter engine than the cat. He said estimates were 100 pounds heavier and we may see them as early as spring. Called around to several dealers today who sold Hustlers and other mowers. One dealer sold Grasshopper, John Deere and Hustler the other sold Exmark ,scag, Ferris and Hustler both dealers told me as of 2006 the Hustler were the hottest thing going they had and that practically all the people who were using the Hustler products could not believe how much faster and smoother riding they were over their other riders. That was just 2 opinions but if they get the power thing sorted out with a light weight diesel I am in for a 72 come spring!

I started a new contract this week and I was amazed at how fast my super got the job done and the way the empolyees could ride at 12 or 13 MPH with no major complaints about the ride being brutal. With the solid front tires on my Exmark ZTR you cannot cut near as fast.

So far I am very happy:) , best ZTR so far I ever owned by far!
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

My dealer here said the new diesel was going to be a 4 cylinder Kubota.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Man, it seems like everyone is switching to the new Hustlers, guess I better get one too!
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My Hustler dealer sold 3 of the diesels last year. They were nothing but trouble for the cutters that bought them. The factory ended up buying them back.

from FLORIDA

The new diesel is supposed to be a regular Super Z with a 38 HP diesel.

The guy at Hustler was hinting to the fact that the CAT Hustler was a bit much mower.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler needs to come up my way. I'll be in the market for a Z soon!
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I just want a 28 Kub diesel on a SuperZ. Just need the vert shaft! Would be more than enough power to run a 60" deck. Shaft drive to deck would be great also!
    I live in hope!
  8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If i remember a conversation I had correctly, I don't think it is an ACTUAL CAT engine ... Perkins is ringing a bell? :laugh:
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How can ANY 38hp 4cyl diesel engine be LIGHTER than what they have now?

They just can't bolt a diesel in the SuperZ frame. It will have to be a different frame.

All the good things about a SuperZ are nixed when you opt for the diesel. They're HIGHER, HEAVIER, and a lot LESS SIMPLE.

Personally, I would LOVE for Briggs to Fuel Inject their Big Blocks.

Can you say SWEET....993cc 38+hp 55+lb/ft of torque!

from FLORIDA

I agree but I do not beleive the briggs comes in horizontal does it. What has the reliability been like on the 35 HP ?