Hustler mandatory ROPS for 2008

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HydroGearHead, Oct 28, 2007.

1. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

I heard Hustler is going to ROPS on all their units in 2008 and its going to increase the cost by like $500????? Anyone hear this??? I think ROPS are crap its crazy here in Florida its FLAT!!! FLAT FLAT...you know no freaking hills!!!! We don't need ROPS!!!! The crazy part is you can ride a motorcycle here with no helmet but I'm going to be forced to buy a machine with ROPS??? TOTAL CRAP!!! All I can say is I better get my tanks for my torches filled, but then I'll probably get sued if I take them off?? Maybe like taking seat belts out of a car I don't know??? WE DON"T NEED NO STINKIN ROPS!!!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Frankly, I'm amazed they skirted around it as long as they did.

I'm not a fan of them at all. As long as they're attached by bolts, I'm OK with it.

As long as the operator knows the machines limits.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Just take them off.

4. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

This is part of the problem. By far more people have died in Florida on mid-mount Z mowers than anywhere else! Sure it is flat and hence a false sense of security. However, there are thousands and thousands of retaining ponds in Florida and you would be suprised how many people have slid into hese ponds, been trapped under the machine and drowned.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard there are actually two points to the ROPS.

1: Sure, it helps with rollovers. In particularly, I would imagine it would be a good thing to have on your product in the event of some wacko lawsuit brought on by someone's family where that particular love one died in such a rollover.

2: From what I understand, many (if not all) big government contracts will not allow mowers without ROPS installed. Remember Mike (MMLawn) always bragging about his "rest stop" contracts. Sure enough, he only ran Deere. May be coincidence, but I have heard this from a dealer.

:usflag:

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

So..... I take it you don't like ROPS?

7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

On the Hustlers four half inch bolts hold the rops to the frame, same ones that hold the bumper.. They looked easy enough to remove..

8. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

The reason that Hustler has not had ROPS before now is that they were a privately owned company so the didn't have investors screaming about the liability. Now that they hav gone throught a merger then times are a changin. Also the add on cost for a ROPS is like 750 i think so be ready.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

of course. i know this would happen. their also probly goin to stop bein a cheap great mower, and be like the rest of them and go to expensive great mower! and my ROPS came off after a week on my toro. you just cant get under alot of trees with those things!

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I was originally told that because of their extremely low center of gravity, they were able to pass a mechanical slope/slide test.? :confused: