Hustler mini-fastrack is it commerical enough or a good homeowners machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Mar 15, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so I was set on getting a exmark tt hp 36" for all those gated yards I am going to encounter this season. I figure out that it will roughly be around 4,000 for a new set up.

Then I run across the hustler mini fastrack and I see that it is around 3500 bucks and it seems like a good machine at a reasonable price. But I do remember a lot of people on this site saying that its a homeowners machine since its not a true commerical machine, due to the hydro pumps.

Opinions on this machine please!!

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

It's a homeowner unit, as a commercial user you will only get 90 days worth of warranty.

Now that being said, The hydros are rated at 800 hours, which will be alot for a unit which will not be your main unit. If you're going to buy it for commercial use then get the 16hp Honda. It's a twin cylinder vs. the single cylinder Kohler Courage. We have a customer who's cutting about 6-8 yards a week with one and he's had it a year and we've done ZERO repairs for him. He brought it in last week for a tune up and he LOVE'S it. He has the 15HP Kohler on his. I'm watching it closely, wanna see just how long it holds up.

I wish like crazy we had added an hour meter to it, I would love to keep the hours on it.....

GOOD LUCK!

3. SouthernYankee

Basically it would be my main unit, I have been set on a 36" exmark tt hp, but after I saw the price and how the mini fastrack can fit through a gate, I was interested.

Do you think that I could run this as my main unit or should I go with the emark?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I wouldn't be afraid to run it as my main unit. Add an hour meter to it and stay in top of the maintenance and when 800 hours comes around and the hydro's go out, replace them and run it another 800 hours. I'd rather ride than walk or or stand up any day.

5. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Why not go for it. If you arent using it too much. I have heard all good things form that Hustler unit so far. I think I mayb rather have the walk behind though if its your only mower. It is a little more accessable for hills...etc. But again I have only heard good things from this unit.

6. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

The best thing about the FasTrak is it’s low center of gravity! It’s unlike any other small deck out there! This translates to maybe being able to cut on inclines with a small deck…That’s good thinking in manufacturing. :blush:
    The chassis and cutter deck, blade tip speed all seem solid commercial.

The Kohler engine is a very good grade engine, but further modification maybe needed for full commercial, nothing major or internal. But I would install a commercial grade air filtration system such as a pre-cleaner Donaldson type setup, and external oil cooler. Oil also acts as a coolant. :cool:

The other major difference over commercial is the Hydros. Good commercial grade hydros have large external oil cooler with a large external reservoir which also helps to keep them cool. The Fastrak has cooling fans and is sealed, and have an 800 hr. rating, but I believe they may last up to 1500 hrs. with proper use…Unless you go joy riding on the pavement doing 180’s LOL! :blob3:

Those are my observations I hope they help in your decision, Good luck!

P.S.
    The quality of cut is first rate commercial also.

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving:

7. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Go commercial for your main unit. To much down time when you need them. Gravely, Scag, and encore I think.

8. SouthernYankee

I think I might be better off with a 36" emark tt hp, with a proslide or sulky, since I have read that a lot of the small ztrs rut, even though all mowers will leave ruts.

9. Shane@Gautreaux's LNG

Shane@Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Member

If it's your main unit, definately get the 16hp Honda and let her rip. You'll love the unit and it'll make a ton of money for you!

10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Southern Yankee, Roll Tide Roll !

As a very happy Hustler SuperZ owner, let me chime in on this.

I have recently demoed small riders including the FasTrak. It is not a good buy for commercial use because of the hydro unit.

Get a Gravely 34Z if you want a rider. It uses the same Hydro Gear 10s as most 48" - 60" Zs, including the LazerHP and the Hustler Z (Super Zs are different). It is a full commercial grade unit. Oh, and that 15 horse Kawi is a sweeet little engine :)

In Houston you won't be seeing many hills, but you will encounter some small berms on which the 34Z or ANY narrow wheel track mower will slide on occasion.That is the only downside to the 34Z I found in two days of heavy use. I'm buying one this month for some narrow gated back yards. I decided my men will be more productive with the rider, and if need be can pull out a 21 for those rare couple passes to mow a berm.

The Gravely is a damn fine unit, you won't be disappointed. It retails for ~4 grand, but can be had for ~36-37 hundred.