1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" or Fastrak 48"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaloCir9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a ZTR and I think I have narrowed it down to a Hustler. Everyone seems to have a lot of success with them. I was considering a Scag Freedom Z but I have not gotten much positive feedback.

Which one?...Mini Fastrak 42" or Fastrak 48"?

I will mow about 1-2 acres a week. My lot is on a slight slope and is wide open. I am not sure if these units will be overkill. I do not want to spend much more than $5k.

Also, when do you think is a good time to buy, the end of the summer? or fall?

Thanks for the feedback
  2. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I would go with the 48" Hustler. It has a better warranty and transmissions. Since you have no gates to go through, the 48" will cut down some time and you get a better machine.

When is the best time to buy? If you but it now you can enjoy the mower for the rest of the season. If you buy it in the fall, it will sit and the warranty begins when the unit is delivered. Steel is no getting no cheaper, so I would make the purchase and show off my new Hustler.

Good Luck
  3. PaloCir9

PaloCir9 LawnSite Member

The reason why I asked timing is because I am building a home on an acre of land and it will not be ready until the fall. If I purchased it now it would sit until the fall, and then again during the winter.

I have heard that there are end of season deals out there????
  4. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

With that said I would not purchase until the fall or early next year. You may be able to find a good used machine in the fall as some people will decide to do something else. Some dealers will drop the price a little bit to push some mowers in the fall, but my hustler dealer is always busy and usually does not budge to much on the price. Just keep an eye on the clasifieds, ebay, and craigslist. You may save a bunch of money if you are not opposed to a good used machine.