1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler mini z 36 or ferris 32" wb or Quickie 32

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by luckydooley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I have been absorbing all the info from this site I can. Thanks everyone for all your contributions. I will be going full time this spring. My current accounts (very few) have gated back yards. I will be getting either a Toro or Honda 21" commercial trim mower. I am also looking at he Hustler mini z 36 for $4900 from my secondary dealer, The Ferris 32" wb for $3000 from my primary dealer, or the Quickie 32. My preference is the quick 32, but these are the only mowers I will have besides a couple of craftsman 21". I am mechanically inclined and comfortable maintaining my own equipment, but like the idea of buying a machine from a local dealer, just in case professional service is needed. I am a new customer and probably would not be a priority if I brought my quick in for service at either dealer. Thanks for any advice.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the QUICK ...IMHO ..there is nothing on it that you cannot fix within an hour..BOP will stand behind it and you will be glad you bought it.
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I, too, have a smaller/complex lawn niche business and my 21 Toro SRs have been GREAT @$500-550, very reliable, light & nimble with a great cut...& I don't bag, mostly. A commercial mower can easily be twice this cost...and after 2 years when you might break even dollarwise - you have a 2 year old mower. I have 2 mowers for the same price, one being a backup.

I have enough gates that only a 32"er will pass through (and also needing a slick reverse for tight areas) that the Quickie 32 looks like the ticket.
  4. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I think I may consider the Toro SR as my 21". Does it hold up good? Just trying to get away from my craftsman POS's. I want to add a slightly larger commercial to get more done a little faster.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

lucky - my first year in biz was with a Toro 21" SR (bought new). Can count on one hand the number of weeklies I had, however did have one large townhome account with 3/4 acre total mowable. Did all the cutting with the Toro, held up just fine for me, had absolutely NO hiccups. And this was just the high end homeowner SR. You might want to check out the PT21 with the Kaw and Personal Pace - I saw it listed at the MN Green Expo today for $800.
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going with the BOP 32" Kawi. Small enough for my gates, powerful enough for mulching leaves. Easy to maintain. Fixable at the site. Very competitively priced. Manueverable single hydro, easy to use reverse. Much lighter than other units.